Carla Varriale-Barker is a shareholder in the firm’s New York office, serving as Chair of the firm's Sports, Recreation & Entertainment Practice Group. Her client-centered practice focuses on tort, discrimination, contract, insurance and premises liability matters, including the defense of claims arising from alcohol service, security lapses, discrimination in places of public accommodation, and sexual abuse and molestation. She represents a portfolio of clients in the sports, recreation, amusement and hospitality industries.
Ms. Varriale-Barker is an accomplished litigator who is at home in a court room, board room or a class room. She counsels clients involved with the U.S. Center for SafeSport, an organization established by Congress to address sexual abuse, bullying, and other misconduct, and the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic movement. She is an adjunct instructor at Columbia University’s School of Professional Studies. She has taught in the Sports Management Program since 2008.
Joining the firm as a lateral hire in 2020, Ms. Varriale-Barker came to Segal McCambridge as a founding partner of a women-owned law firm. She has also written about diversity and inclusion and the importance of mentorship and sponsorship for the American Bar Association.
Ms. Varriale-Barker earned her J.D. from New York Law School where she was part of the Order of the Barristers and the Moot Court Executive Board. She holds a bachelor’s degree from Boston University.
Outside of her work in the legal arena, Ms. Varriale-Barker enjoys spending time with her friends and family and pursuing her hobbies, which include exploring art and design, writing, and practicing yoga.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Brooklyn Women's Bar Association
- Sports Lawyer's Association
- Claims Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- International Amusement and Leisure Defense Association, Inc.
“CU Sports Law: Looking At The Activism of Colin Kaepernick” Talks at Columbia Series (January 18, 2018).
Articles & Publications
- Sports Litigation Alert, 10.20.20
- Front Office Sports, 8.14.20
- Clause and Effect: New Jersey Appellate Court Compels Arbitration in Personal Injury Actions Involving Indoor Trampoline ParkSports Litigation Alert, 8.4.20
- Business Insurance, 7.30.20
- American Bar Association Animal Law Committee News, 7.29.20
- SportBusiness, 5.19.20
- New York Court Dismisses Novel Case Involving Sudden Stoppage of Electric Roller Coaster, ‘The Hurricane,’ Discusses the Doctrine of Res Ipsa LoquiturSports Litigation Alert, 4.7.20
"As athletes return to campus, what are they signing up for?" Associated Press News (June 21, 2020)
"Sports COVID-19 Shutdown A Smart Move, Despite Defenses" Law360 (March 17, 2020)
New York Law School, J.D., 1992
Boston University, B.A., 1988
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals; Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals; Third Circuit