Daniel J. Powell is a trial attorney focusing his practice on defending product manufacturers and contractors in toxic tort litigation, primarily involving claims associated with the use of asbestos-containing materials. Mr. Powell serves as National Coordinating Counsel for a large industrial products company, helping manage and execute the defense of products liability and premises claims throughout Illinois and in various active state and federal jurisdictions across the country, including primarily in New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. He also serves as liaison counsel in local jurisdictions for a wide range of industrial equipment manufacturer and contractor clients facing high-liability claims involving terminal illness and wrongful death. Through these diverse roles, Mr. Powell has developed extensive experience in various stages of litigation and is well-versed in drafting and arguing pre-trial motions, deposing fact and expert witnesses, preparing discovery responses, mediating cases, and assisting in trial preparation to reach favorable resolution.
Mr. Powell was named a Rising Star by Illinois Super Lawyers in 2014 and 2018. He has been recognized for his participation in the Municipal Court Pro Bono Program in Chicago and also served on the Associate Board for Coordinated Advice & Referral Program for Legal Services (CARPLS). Prior to joining Segal McCambridge, he worked as an associate attorney for a small general practice where he focused his practice on litigating a wide variety of personal injury claims through trial.
- Lead Articles Editor, The John Marshall Law Review
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, President (2009-2010)
- Selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (no more than 2.5% of lawyers in the state under the age of 40 are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2014, 2018)
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Chicago Bar Association
- Coordinated Advice & Referral Program for Legal Services (CARPLS), Associate Board Member
- Secured a no liability/no damages award at a Cook County Mandatory Arbitration hearing on behalf of pro bono client. Plaintiffs sought $15,000 for physical injuries, property damage, medical expenses, and lost income resulting from a motor vehicle accident at an open intersection. Plaintiffs later dismissed client from the case as a result of the arbitration award.
- Secured a no damages/no contribution award at a Cook County Mandatory Arbitration hearing on behalf of pro bono client. Plaintiffs, including a minor child, sought $50,000 for soft tissue injuries and emotional distress resulting from client's alleged involvement in a motor vehicle accident. A co-Defendant also sued client for contribution. Plaintiffs and co-Defendant later dismissed client from the case as a result of the arbitration award.
John Marshall Law School, J.D., cum laude (2011)
- Dean's List all semesters
University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A., Journalism and Mass Communication and B.A., Political Science (2007)
- Distinctive Scholastic Achievement designation
- Illinois, 2011
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2011
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, 2015