Douglas McIntosh is a shareholder in the firm's Ft. Lauderdale office and serves as co-chair of the firm's Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith practice group. He brings nearly four decades of experience to his insurance defense practice.
While he concentrates on representing clients facing catastrophic damages, suits and insurance coverage matters, his extensive experience includes commercial and professional negligence litigation and product liability.
He handles a broad range of admiralty and maritime matters. Starting his career trying COGSA cases in federal court, he later represented some of the largest cruise lines in the world, specializing in defense of passenger and crew sexual assault claims and complex Jones Act claims involving medical care and treatment afforded by ship's hospitals and contracted physicians and other medical professionals. Mr. McIntosh has handled mass infection claims with food poisoning and other infectious disease cases brought against cruise ship owners and operators, on multiple occasions. He has prevailed in many cases at the trial and appellate levels, in state and federal courts.
Mr. McIntosh also counsels insurance companies on bad faith, professional errors and omissions, general liability and all-risk policies of insurance issues. He also provides expert testimony in state and federal courts in bad faith, primary, excess and reinsurance law cases.
He is a qualified arbitrator in Florida and has served as a selected mediator, panel and sole arbitrator in a variety of complex cases. Well respected throughout the state, he also authored numerous articles, published chapters on defense techniques for major publishers and has lectured frequently on a variety of topics, including trial techniques, bad faith and insurance coverage in Florida and law firm economics and business practices.
His extensive involvement with impactful organizations and associations ranges from the local level to the international level. He is a member of the Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad College of Law, Board of Governors (chair 2019-2023) and served as chairperson of the Broward County Bar Association Professionalism Committee for many years. At the state level, Mr. McIntosh contributed to the Florida Defense Lawyers Association (FDLA), a 1,000-member organization of the civil defense bar of Florida, of which he served as President in 1995. He has also served as a member on a number of Florida Supreme Court-appointed committees.
At the national level, he is an elected member of the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys (ADTA) and an elected Fellow in the American College of Coverage Counsel (ACCC). Mr. McIntosh has also been an active member of DRI, The Voice of the Defense Bar, serving for five years as the appointed Florida representative as well as serving a three-year term as an elected national director on its Board of Directors. He served on numerous DRI committees and chaired its insurance roundtable in 2009.
Mr. McIntosh is regularly lauded as a leader in the field, including receiving the BCBA Lynn Futch Professionalism in Practice Award in 2004 and the FDLA's highest achievement award for his state and national efforts. Additionally, he received a Peer Review Rating of “AV” by the LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory and has been named a South Florida "Top Lawyer" and a "Super Lawyer" by peer-review publications. His peers voted for his inclusion in Best Lawyers in America. In 2006, he was awarded the St. Thomas More Society Archbishop McCarthy Award, presented to, “a member of the legal profession who has demonstrated a commitment to Catholic ideals and service to the community, parish, or profession.”
In addition to these contributions to the legal world, Mr. McIntosh also helped found Hope Outreach Center, Inc., a community outreach program in Broward County, serving as its president for many years. He received an award from the Florida Supreme Court as a guardian ad litem for children in Broward County.
He is admitted to practice in the state and federal courts in Florida and is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court.
- Recipient of the American College of Coverage Counsel’s Thomas F. Segalla Service Award
- Elected to the Susie and Alan Levan NSU Ambassadors Board in Ft. Lauderdale
- Selected for inclusion in the Florida Super Lawyers list (no more than 5% of lawyers in the state are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community
- Recognized among "The Best Lawyers in America"
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
- Florida Supreme Court award for guardian ad litem, Broward County
- St. Thomas More Society Archbishop McCarthy Award, 2006
- BCBA Lynn Futch Professionalism in Practice Award, 2004
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- American College of Coverage Counsel (ACCC)
- Defense Research Institute
- Broward County Bar Association
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
- Hope Outreach Center
- Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad College of Law, Board of Governors
- Florida Office of Insurance Regulation Issues Informational Memorandum on Insurer Continuity of Operation Plans on COVID-193.24.20
Nova Southeastern University, J.D., 1981
Boston College, A.B., 1977
- Florida, 1981
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 1992
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1986
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida,1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth and Eleventh Circuits, 1981