Douglas McIntosh is a shareholder in the firm's Ft. Lauderdale office. He brings nearly four decades of experience to his insurance defense practice.
While he concentrates on representing clients facing catastrophic damages, suits and insurance coverage matters, his extensive experience includes commercial and professional negligence litigation and product liability.
Mr. McIntosh also counsels insurance companies on bad faith, professional errors and omissions, general liability and all-risk policies of insurance issues. He also provides expert testimony in state and federal courts in bad faith, primary, excess and reinsurance law cases.
He is a qualified arbitrator in Florida and has served as selected mediator, panel and sole arbitrator in a variety of complex cases. Well respected throughout the state, he also authored numerous articles, published chapters on defense techniques for major publishers and has lectured frequently on a variety of topics, including trial techniques, bad faith and insurance coverage in Florida and law firm economics and business practices.
His extensive involvement with impactful organizations and associations ranges from the local level to the international level. He is a member of the Board of Governors of the Shepard Broad Law Center of Nova University (chair 2019-2021) and served as chairperson of the Broward County Bar Association Professionalism Committee for many years. At the state level, Mr. McIntosh contributed to the Florida Defense Lawyers Association (FDLA), a 1,000-member organization of the civil defense bar of Florida, of which he served as President in 1995. He has also served as a member on a number of Florida Supreme Court-appointed committees.
At the national level, he is an elected member of the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys (ADTA) and an elected Fellow in the American College of Coverage Counsel (ACCC). Mr. McIntosh has also been an active member of DRI, The Voice of the Defense Bar, serving for five years as the appointed Florida representative as well as serving a three-year term as an elected national director on its Board of Directors. He served on numerous DRI committees and chaired its insurance roundtable in 2009.
He also serves as a member of the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) on its professional liability, medical malpractice and admiralty law committees.
Mr. McIntosh is regularly lauded as a leader in the field, including receiving the BCBA Lynn Futch Professionalism in Practice Award in 2004 and the FDLA's highest achievement award for his state and national efforts. Additionally, he received a Peer Review Rating of “AV” by the LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory and has been named a South Florida "Top Lawyer" and a "Super Lawyer" by peer review publications. His peers voted for his inclusion in Best Lawyers in America. In 2006, he was awarded the St. Thomas More Society Archbishop McCarthy Award, presented to, “a member of the legal profession who has demonstrated a commitment to Catholic ideals and service to the community, parish, or profession.”
In addition to these contributions to the legal world, Mr. McIntosh also helped found Hope Outreach Center, Inc., a community outreach program in Broward County, serving as its president for many years. He received an award from the Florida Supreme Court as a guardian ad litem for children in Broward County.
He is admitted to practice in the state and federal courts in Florida and is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court.
- Elected to the Susie and Alan Levan NSU Ambassadors Board in Ft. Lauderdale
- Selected for inclusion in the Florida Super Lawyers list (no more than 5% of lawyers in the state are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community
- Recognized among "The Best Lawyers in America"
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
- Florida Supreme Court award for guardian ad litem, Broward County
- St. Thomas More Society Archbishop McCarthy Award, 2006
- BCBA Lynn Futch Professionalism in Practice Award, 2004
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- American College of Coverage Counsel (ACCC)
- Defense Research Institute
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Board of Governors of the Shepard Broad Law Center of Nova University, Chair
- Broward County Bar Association
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
- Hope Outreach Center
Nova University, J.D., 1981
Boston College, A.B., 1977
- Florida, 1981
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 1992
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1986
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida,1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth and Eleventh Circuits, 1981