Ed McCambridge is a founder of the firm and has served as a member of the firm's Executive Committee.
Mr. McCambridge concentrates his practice on complex tort litigation, with a focus on toxic tort and product liability actions. He has substantial trial experience in toxic tort, asbestos, product liability, automobile, premises and sports liability litigation.
Mr. McCambridge was the Chairman and President of the Chicago Asbestos Defense Group and was appointed by the Circuit Court of Cook County as liaison officer and lead counsel for the defense of all asbestos litigation pending in Cook County. He has lectured on asbestos litigation to the Conference of Insurance Legislators, the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, the Chicago Bar Association, the Defense Research Institute, and Perrin Asbestos Conferences. He was a featured speaker at a National Business Institute Seminar on "Trial Advocacy." Mr. McCambridge is the 1991 and 1999 author and lecturer of "Trial Advocacy in Illinois." Mr. McCambridge is also the author of a chapter on handling toxic tort cases in the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel Manual and has lectured extensively in toxic tort and asbestos litigation across the country.
Mr. McCambridge is a member of the State Bars of Illinois and Michigan and the Federal Bars of the Northern, Central, and Southern Districts of Illinois, the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin, the Eastern District of Missouri, and the Northern District of Indiana. He is a member of the Illinois Bar Association, Michigan Bar Association, the Defense Research Institute, Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel and the Chicago Trial Lawyers Club and is a Senior Fellow in the Litigation Council of America. He is also an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association. He received his Juris Doctor degree from the John Marshall Law School in 1975 after receiving his Bachelor of Science degree from the University of St. Thomas in 1971.
Mr. McCambridge has been presented the Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award by Marquis Who's Who for his accomplishments in the practice of law. He has also been listed in "Who's Who in America," "Who's Who in American Law," "Who's Who in American Business," Illinois Super Lawyers, “Leading Lawyers in Illinois.” He has been selected by his peers for inclusion in "Best Lawyers in America" in 2016, 2017, and 2018. Mr. McCambridge has served as a Trustee of the Village of Brookfield and has been a member of the village's Zoning and Recreation Boards. He also has served as President of the Brookfield Jaycees. Mr. McCambridge is a member of the Union League Club and the Saint Cyril Society.
A trial lawyer's true value rests on what jurors think of him and how he/she relates to them. Complete post-trial juror interviews were performed by a well-known jury consultant service in two of Ed McCambridge's recent trials. The jurors rated him excellent, grading him A or A+. To see the direct responses of the jurors to the questions of the jury consulting service (done blind so there would be no prejudice in their answers), please click here.
- Recognized as an Illinois Leading Lawyer (a designation limited to less than 5% of all lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2003-2018)
- Recognized among "The Best Lawyers in America" (2016-2018)
- Recognized among "The Best Lawyers in America" in Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (2016-2018)
- Selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers list (no more than 5% of lawyers in the state are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2005-2018)
- Presented the Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award by Marquis Who's Who
- Who's Who in America
- Who's Who in American Law
- Who's Who in American Business
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
- Recognized as a 2014 Top Rated Lawyer in Mass Torts by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell®
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Defense Counsel
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Mealey's Defense Toxic Tort Advisory Council, 2006
- Michigan State Bar Association
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Nolan v. Weil-McLain - Represented Weil-McLain at trial and through appeal to the Illinois Supreme Court in perhaps the most significant decision in Illinois asbestos litigation history, wherein the court specifically overruled those cases that expanded the "Lipke rule" to prevent a defendant at trial from introducing evidence of other exposures to advance a causation defense.
- White v. Garlock - Obtained defense verdict in an asbestos trial in McLean County, Illinois in which plaintiff claimed exposure to asbestos-containing gaskets and packing manufactured by defendant.
- Board of Chicago Asbestos Defense Group, Founder, President and Chairman
- Chicago Asbestos Proprietary Damage Group, Founder
- Hill v. Green Tweed, Philadelphia, PA
- Kinseth v. Weil, Wright County IA
- Lemon v. Garlock, Brazoria County TX
- Michigan School Districts v. Garlock, Wayne County MI
- Nolan v. Weil, Vermilion County IL
- Wakeland v. Garlock, St Clair County IL
- Ward v. Garlock, Montgomery County TX
- Fuller v. Weil, Cleveland OH
Published Appellate Opinions
Dallis v. Don Cunningham and Associates, 11 F.3d 713 (7th Cir. (Ill.), Dec 08, 1993
Balzekas v. Looking Elk, 254 Ill. App.3d 529, 627 N.E.2d 84, 193 Ill. Dec. 925 (Ill.App 1 Dist., Sep 17, 1993) (NO. I-92-0677)
Kurrack v. American Dist. Telegraph Co., 252 Ill.App.3d 885, 625 N.E.2d 675, 192 Ill.Dec. 520
Belkow v. Celotex Corp., 722 F. Supp. 1547, Prod.Liab.Rep. (CCH) P 12,437 (N.D.Ill., Sep22, 1989) (NO. 89 C 3049)
Wakeland v. Garlock, Ill App Ct 5 District #5-02-0142
Froud v. Celotex Corp., 98 Ill.2d 324, 456 N.E.2d 131, 74 Ill.Dec.629 (Ill., Oct 25, 1983)
Phillips v. Chicago Housing Authority, 89 Ill.2d 122, 431 N.E.2d 1038, 59 Ill.Dec.281 (Ill., Feb 02, 1982)
Phillips v. Chicago Housing Authority, 91 Ill.App.3d 544, 414 N.E.2d 1133, 47 Ill.Dec. 17 (Ill.App. 1 Dist., Dec 04, 1980) (NO. 79-1898)
Clark v. Standard Life & Acc. Ins. Co., 68 Ill.App.3d 977, 386 N.E.2d 890, 25 Ill.Dec. 416 (Ill.App. 1 Dist., Feb 14, 1979) (NO. 76-1526, 77-347, 77-664)
Board of Educ. of City of Chicago v. A, C and S, Inc., 171 Ill.App.3d 737, 525 N.E.2d 950, 121 Ill.Dec.643, 47 Ed. Law Rep. 1108, Prod.Liab.Rep. (CCH) P 11,874 (Ill.App. 1 Dist., Jun 01, 1988) (No. 86-0817)
- Founding Shareholder Edward J. McCambridge Named to Top 100 Registry Inc.'s Top 100 Lawyers for 20181.22.19
- Edward McCambridge Listed Among the Top Ten Products Liability Defense Lawyers in Leading Lawyers Business Edition for 2018Leading Lawyers Magazine - Business Edition for 2018, 8.31.18
- Best Lawyers, 8.15.18
- SUPREME COURT OF IOWA ORDERS NEW TRIAL6.1.18
- Edward J. McCambridge Presented with the Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award by Marquis Who's WhoMarquis Who's Who, 12.19.17
- Court of Appeals of Iowa Reverses and Remands on Behalf of Client, Weil-McLain4.19.17
- Segal McCambridge Attorneys Among Top-Rated Personal Injury Products: Defense Lawyers in Super Lawyers Business Edition1.3.17
- January 2016
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Edward J. McCambridge To Speak at London Asbestos Litigation Conference8.7.09
- New Orleans, LA, 11.9.16
- Segal McCambridge Shareholders William Mahoney and Ed McCambridge To Speak at DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar7.30.12
- Segal McCambridge Shareholders Ed McCambridge and Kathleen McDonough to Participate in Jury Management Conference6.19.12
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Ed McCambridge Selected To Address Law Bulletin Case Evaluation Seminar10.15.10
Perrin Conferences' Asbestos Defense Strategic Summit, "Issues in Defending the Lung Cancer Case" (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013).
Perrin Conferences' The Newest Trends in Lung Cancer & Mesothelioma Cases, "Lung Cancers, Screenings and Litigation – The Science and Law Issues" Chicago, IL (June 19, 2013).
Chicago Law Bulletin Seminars 2012 Jury Management Conference, Chicago, IL, panelist, “Inside the Juror’s Heads: Revelations from the Jury from the Trial Participants” (June 28, 2012).
Chicago Law Bulletin Juror Deliberation and Jury Management Seminar, Chicago, IL, panelist, “The Value of Mock Trials, Deliberations, & Focus Groups” (June 7, 2011).
Perrin Conferences' The New Era of Product Liability Law - Emerging Issues Driving Mass Tort & Environmental Litigation, "An Update on the Continued Growth of Tobacco and Asbestos Litigation" (panelist), New Orleans, LA (May 5, 2011).
Chicago Law Bulletin Case Examination 2010 (panelist), Chicago, IL (November 18, 2010).
LexisNexis conference on International Asbestos Litigation, "The Present and the Future of Asbestos Litigation in the U.S.A," London, U.K. (September 29-30, 2009).
HarrisMartin's Delaware Asbestos Litigation Conference, Wilmington, DE, "The Future of Asbestos Litigation" (February 20, 2009).
LexisNexis Trial Strategies Seminar & Expo, Philadelphia, PA, "Effective Use of Technology in the Courtroom" (December 10-11, 2007).
Mealey's National Asbestos Litigation SuperConference, Scottsdale, AZ, "Crunching the Numbers: The Financial Implications of Asbestos Litigation" (September 26-28, 2007).
Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel's Construction Insurance Symposium & Trial Tactics Seminar, St. Louis, MO, "Nolan, Lipke & The Empty Chair" (September 20-21, 2007).
Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel's (FDCC) 2007 Winter Meeting, Scottsdale, AZ, "The History And Future of Asbestos Litigation" (February 25 - March 4, 2007).
Co-Chairman, Mealey's National Asbestos Litigation Conference: How to Meet the Legislative and Litigation Challenges Shaking the Industry, Philadelphia, PA (September 19-20, 2005).
American Industrial Hygiene Association Convention, "Examining a Silica Exposure Claim in the Court Room: Tough Questions for the Industrial Hygienist," Presenter as Defense Attorney (May 2005).
Articles & Publications
- Leading Lawyers Magazine - Business Edition for 2018, 8.28.18
- The Voice, DRI's Weekly e-Newsletter, 7.11.18
- Toxic Tort Newsletter - Winter 2008, Vol. 7 Issue 1, Winter 2008
- Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Toxic Tort Newsletter, Vol. 2, Issue 2, Spring 2003
"Training For Asbestos Litigation," Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Toxic Tort Newsletter, Volume 6, Issue 2 (Spring 2007).
"Extra!!" Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Toxic Tort Newsletter, Volume 6, Issue 1 (Winter 2007).
"Status of Challenges to the Lipke Rule in Illinois," Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Toxic Tort Newsletter, Volume 5, Issue 2 (Fall 2006).
"Update On The Science Of Mold," Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Toxic Tort Newsletter, Volume 3, Issue 1 (Winter 2004).
"The Chrysotile Defense 2002," Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Toxic Tort Newsletter, Volume 1, Issue 1 (Fall 2002).
Sterling Education Services Seminar, "Water Intrusion and Toxic Mold Claims in Illinois- Defending Mold Claim" (June 2004).
John Marshall Law School, J.D. (1975)
University of St. Thomas, B.A. (1971)
- Illinois, 1975
- Michigan, 1993
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin