Eric P. Conn is a shareholder in Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Detroit office. Mr. Conn concentrates his practice in premises liability, negligence, products liability, and food and beverage. Mr. Conn has successfully defended clients in each of those matters through early resolution, facilitation, mediation, summary judgment, trial and appeal. He also has significant practice experience in commercial litigation, contract negotiation and associated litigation, construction matters, labor and employment discrimination, real estate disclosure and associated litigation. He currently serves as chair of the firm's Transportation Practice Group.
Mr. Conn effectively uses discovery that focuses on narrowing the issues and bolstering defenses, resulting in timely and efficient resolutions to claims he handles. Mr. Conn's litigation philosophy focuses on the ability to quickly prepare successful litigation strategies paired with a commitment to attentive and responsive service to clients. Mr. Conn has presented a number of legal updates to clients involving important and relevant changes in areas affecting liability and damages.
Mr. Conn is active in the legal community, having spent time representing pro bono clients through Detroit Legal Aid, the Oakland County Bar Association and HELP - Detroit. Mr. Conn is an appointed member of the DRI Public Utilities Task Force and the Florida Bar Association, including its young lawyers section and the Michigan Defense Trial Lawyers Association and its insurance and indemnity law section.
- Selected for inclusion in the Michigan Super Lawyers list (no more than 5% of lawyers in the state are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community, 2019-2020
- Recognized as a Michigan Leading Lawyer (a designation limited to less than 5% of all lawyers licensed to practice law in Michigan), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community, 2018-2020
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
- Recognized as a Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Star, nominated and selected by peers in the legal community and awarded to the top 2.5% of lawyers under the age of 40 in Michigan, 2009, 2012-2018
Professional & Civic Involvement
- DRI Public Utilities Task Force, Member
- Michigan Propane Gas Association, Member
- CLM Transportation Committee - Committee Conference & Publication/Magazine Subcommittees
- Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division
- HELP Detroit
- Howell Main Street DDA, Past President
- Howell Rental Property Board of Appeals President
- Litigation Counsel of America
- Members’ Attorney Program (MAP) of ACA International
- Michigan Bar Litigation Section
- Michigan Bar Negligence Section
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA)
- Secured summary disposition on behalf of an insurance company in a case in which the plaintiff submitted false claims about prior medical history in order to trigger a transportation policy. The victory was the result of the Macomb County judge granting a motion for reconsideration after key information about the policy was not included in his initial opinion.
- Secured summary disposition on behalf of insurance company due to a failure to identify the company as an insurer within the statutory period.
- Obtained summary disposition on behalf of small business owner where Plaintiff claimed to have fallen on a staircase that was not up to code.
- Obtained summary disposition on behalf of insured driver where the Plaintiff failed to disclose her pre-existing conditions to her post-accident treating providers.
- Obtained summary disposition on behalf of a subcontractor relating to a slip and fall that occurred at a construction site by successfully arguing that the subcontractor owed no duty to the Plaintiff.
- Obtained summary judgment and dismissal on a claim with a demand in excess of $100,000 after uncovering Plaintiff’s fraudulent misrepresentations.
- Obtained attorney’s fees on behalf of an insurer client for a transportation company based on Plaintiff’s fraud in personal injury claim.
- Obtained summary disposition on behalf of an insurer for a transportation company based on Plaintiff’s fraud.
- Granted partial summary disposition on a Plaintiff’s wage loss claims as the claims were speculative in nature and did not constitute temporary unemployment.
- Secured summary judgment for insurance carrier client in novel area of law where the Plaintiff claimed entitlement to occupational accident benefits in excess of $100,000.00 and at the same time obtained the right to recoup those benefits already paid.
- Granted summary disposition in a liquor liability case where an intoxicated, non-permissive user of a motor vehicle severely injured two children.
- Awarded relief from $585,000 judgment against firm's client prior to firm's retention, and further obtained a 100% award of all attorney fees and costs, including future attorney fees, eliminating all of client's costs.
- Achieved summary judgment affirmed by the Michigan Supreme Court in a commercial negligence matter for a prominent real property investment and management firm.
- Granted dismissal with prejudice for a leading multi-national transportation company.
- Successfully argued summary judgment in commercial negligence matter seeking significant compensatory damages for personal injuries.
- Secured defense verdict in commercial negligence trial.
- Obtained summary judgment for contractor in commercial litigation matter.
- Convinced trial court to order summary judgment in products liability matter where demand was in excess of $300,000.
- Negotiated favorable result in age discrimination matter brought pursuant to State and Federal law.
- Provided voluntary dismissal for defendant insurance company while a motion for summary judgment was pending.
- Achieved favorable result in products liability and breach of warranty matter with an initial demand in excess of $500,000.
- Segal McCambridge Congratulates the 23 Attorneys Selected to the 2020 Leading and Emerging Lawyers Lists1.24.20
- Detroit Attorneys Eric Conn and Geoffrey Leskie named to the 2019 Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists9.6.19
- February 2017
- Segal McCambridge Secures $2 Million-Plus Award for Telecommunications Client in Commercial Litigation Dispute10.17.13
- Catherine Goldhaber, Eric Conn, and Andrew Harris Named to 2013 Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Stars List9.5.13
- DRI's Construction Litigation Desk Reference, with Segal McCambridge-Authored Michigan Chapter, Now Ready for Pre-Order2.3.10
"Supply Chain Interruptions and Diminished Product Quality: Practical and Legal Issues Raised by the COVID-19 Pandemic," Perrin Conferences Webinar (June 17, 2020)
Segal McCambridge, in-house CLE, "When you Lose, We Lose: Preserving Evidence in Trucking," (May 7, 2019).
ACI Trucking Seminar, "Monster Verdicts and How to Avoid Them," Chicago, IL (March 30-31, 2016).
Segal McCambridge seminar, "Be in the Know: Segal McCambridge LinkedIn Lunch-and-Learn" (July 17, 2013).
CLE Seminar, "The Web We Weave: Confirming and Collecting Deceit Through Social Media" (July 19, 2012).
Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, Update on pending litigation seeking Facebook and other social media records (May 2012).
Articles & Publications
- Bloomberg Law, 8.3.20
- Bloomberg Law, 6.5.20
- Law360 Expert Analysis, 10.24.19
- The Journal of Insurance & Indemnity Law, 10.1.19
- The Journal of Insurance & Indemnity Law, 1.19
- Corporate Counsel, 1.29.15
- Corporate Counsel, 1.29.15
- Social media can provide helpful evidence in legal disputes, but there are pitfalls.The National Law Journal, 1.26.15
Construction Litigation Desk Reference, Michigan chapter, Defense Research Institute’s Defense Library Series (August 2014).
Navigating Michigan PIP Claims: A Quick Reference Guide to First Party No-Fault Law, Segal McCambridge Publication (September 2013).
Navigating Premises Liability in Michigan: A Guide to the Duties of Owners/Possessors, Segal McCambridge Publication (September 2013).
Construction Litigation Desk Reference, Michigan chapter, Defense Research Institute’s Defense Library Series (February 2010).
“Growing Resume Inflation Makes Due Diligence in Hiring More Important than Ever,” Defense Research Institute’s In Transit (Summer 2009).
- Michigan Governor Signs Executive Order Cutting Red Tape for Motor Carriers During the COVID-19 Pandemic4.10.20
- TRANSPORTATION LAW CLIENT ALERT: City of Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan’s Lawsuit Challenging the Michigan No-Fault Act’s Constitutionality Gains Traction2.28.19
- EMPLOYMENT LAW CLIENT ALERT: Tenth Circuit Rules Failure to File Discrimination Claim with EEOC No Longer Jurisdictional Bar9.5.18
- GENERAL FRAUD EXCLUSIONS: AN IMPOSING DEFENSE IN MICHIGAN PIP ACTIONS8.2.16
- Class Action Litigation
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation & Counseling
- Employment Litigation & Counseling
- Food & Beverage
- Insurance & Reinsurance Litigation & Counseling
- Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith
- Product Liability
- Real Estate Litigation
- Technology and Cyber Risk
University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, J.D., 2003
University of Michigan, B.A., Political Science, 2000
- Michigan, 2003
- Florida, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, 2016
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, 2013
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, 2003
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan, 2004