Eric P. Conn is a senior associate in Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Detroit office. Mr. Conn primarily concentrates his practice in premises liability, negligence, and products liability. Mr. Conn has successfully defended clients in each of those matters through early resolution, facilitation, mediation, summary judgment, and trial. He also has significant practice experience in commercial litigation, contract negotiation and associated litigation, construction matters, labor and employment discrimination, real estate disclosure, and associated litigation.
Mr. Conn effectively uses discovery that focuses on narrowing the issues and bolstering defenses, resulting in timely and efficient resolutions to claims he handles. Mr. Conn's litigation philosophy focuses on the ability to quickly prepare successful litigation strategies paired with a commitment to attentive and responsive service to clients. Mr. Conn has presented a number of legal updates to clients involving important and relevant changes in areas affecting liability and damages.
Mr. Conn is active in the legal community, having spent time representing pro bono clients through Detroit Legal Aid, the Oakland County Bar Association and HELP - Detroit. Mr. Conn is a member of the Florida Bar Association, including its young lawyers section and the Michigan Defense Trial Lawyers Association and its insurance and indemnity law section.
- Recognized as a Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Star, nominated and selected by peers in the legal community and awarded to the top 2.5% of lawyers under the age of 40 in Michigan (2009, 2012-2016)
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Members’ Attorney Program (MAP) of ACA International
- Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division
- HELP Detroit
- Howell Main Street DDA, Past President
- Howell Rental Property Board of Appeals President
- Michigan Bar Litigation Section
- Michigan Bar Negligence Section
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Obtained summary judgment and dismissal on a claim with a demand in excess of $100,000 after uncovering Plaintiff’s fraudulent misrepresentations
- Obtained attorney’s fees on behalf of an insurer client for a transportation company based on Plaintiff’s fraud in personal injury claim.
- Obtained summary disposition on behalf of an insurer for a transportation company based on Plaintiff’s fraud.
- Granted partial summary disposition on a Plaintiff’s wage loss claims as the claims were speculative in nature and did not constitute temporary unemployment.
- Secured summary judgment for insurance carrier client in novel area of law where the Plaintiff claimed entitlement to occupational accident benefits in excess of $100,000.00 and at the same time obtained the right to recoup those benefits already paid.
- Granted summary disposition in a liquor liability case where an intoxicated, non-permissive user of a motor vehicle severely injured two children.
- Awarded relief from $585,000 judgment against firm's client prior to firm's retention, and further obtained a 100% award of all attorney fees and costs, including future attorney fees, eliminating all of client's costs.
- Achieved summary judgment affirmed by the Michigan Supreme Court in a commercial negligence matter for a prominent real property investment and management firm.
- Granted dismissal with prejudice for a leading multi-national transportation company.
- Successfully argued summary judgment in commercial negligence matter seeking significant compensatory damages for personal injuries.
- Secured defense verdict in commercial negligence trial.
- Obtained summary judgment for contractor in commercial litigation matter.
- Convinced trial court to order summary judgment in products liability matter where demand was in excess of $300,000.
- Negotiated favorable result in age discrimination matter brought pursuant to State and Federal law.
- Provided voluntary dismissal for defendant insurance company while a motion for summary judgment was pending.
- Achieved favorable result in products liability and breach of warranty matter with an initial demand in excess of $500,000.
- February 2017
- Segal McCambridge Secures $2 Million-Plus Award for Telecommunications Client in Commercial Litigation Dispute10.17.13
- Catherine Goldhaber, Eric Conn, and Andrew Harris Named to 2013 Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Stars List9.5.13
- DRI's Construction Litigation Desk Reference, with Segal McCambridge-Authored Michigan Chapter, Now Ready for Pre-Order2.3.10
ACI Trucking Seminar, "Monster Verdicts and How to Avoid Them," Chicago, IL (March 30-31, 2016).
Segal McCambridge seminar, "Be in the Know: Segal McCambridge LinkedIn Lunch-and-Learn" (July 17, 2013).
CLE Seminar, "The Web We Weave: Confirming and Collecting Deceit Through Social Media" (July 19, 2012).
Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, Update on pending litigation seeking Facebook and other social media records (May 2012).
Articles & Publications
- Corporate Counsel, 1.29.15
- Corporate Counsel, 1.29.15
- Social media can provide helpful evidence in legal disputes, but there are pitfalls.The National Law Journal, 1.26.15
Construction Litigation Desk Reference, Michigan chapter, Defense Research Institute’s Defense Library Series (August 2014).
Navigating Michigan PIP Claims: A Quick Reference Guide to First Party No-Fault Law, Segal McCambridge Publication (September 2013).
Navigating Premises Liability in Michigan: A Guide to the Duties of Owners/Possessors, Segal McCambridge Publication (September 2013).
Construction Litigation Desk Reference, Michigan chapter, Defense Research Institute’s Defense Library Series (February 2010).
“Growing Resume Inflation Makes Due Diligence in Hiring More Important than Ever,” Defense Research Institute’s In Transit (Summer 2009).
- GENERAL FRAUD EXCLUSIONS: AN IMPOSING DEFENSE IN MICHIGAN PIP ACTIONS8.2.16
University of Michigan, B.A. (Political Science), 2000
University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, J.D., 2003
- Michigan, 2003
- Florida, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, 2016
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2004