Gregory McMahon is a shareholder in the firm's Chicago office and serves as Co-Chair of the firm's Environmental Practice Group. Mr. McMahon is an experienced litigator with a particular emphasis on products liability and premises liability claims. As local trial counsel for several clients, including Fortune 500 companies, he is actively involved in the litigation and trial of complex tort cases throughout Illinois. In his role as national coordinating counsel, Mr. McMahon develops and manages the defense of several corporations throughout the country. He has a broad range of experience in litigation matters involving commercial, employment, insurance defense and transportation litigation.
Away from work, Mr. McMahon is an active member of the Chicago legal community. His involvement with the Chicago Bar Association has included leadership positions, including Director of the Litigation, Environmental and Health & Hospital Law sections. In 2011, Mr. McMahon was named by Super Lawyers magazine as an Illinois Rising Star.
Mr. McMahon lives in Chicago with his wife Abigail, daughter Elizabeth and son Henry.
- Selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (no more than 2.5% of lawyers in the state under the age of 40 are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2011)
- CALI Award for Excellence, Contracts (2000)
- CALI Award for Excellence, Legal Writing I (2000)
- CALI Award for Excellence, Legal Writing II (2000)
- DePaul University, DePaul Business Law Journal, Symposium Editor (2001-2002) (Terrorism, Security and Competition and the Future of the Airline Industry, February 2002).
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Director
- Chicago Public Schools, Curriculum Development Panelist for Law & Public Safety Academies
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, Pro Bono Attorney
- Represents a multinational manufacturer of aviation equipment in all aspects of litigation in state and federal courts.
- Obtained summary judgment in a $6 million product liability case in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee.
- Obtained summary judgment in a wrongful death case on behalf of a heart monitor manufacturer in Sangamon County, IL.
- Prevailed on a 12(b)(6) Motion to Dismiss in a class action products liability case involving children's bath products in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a parts washer manufacturer in a benzene related wrongful death case in Cook County, IL.
- Prevailed on a Motion for Summary Judgment in a products liability case in Lake County, IL.
Articles & Publications
"EEOC v. International Profit Associates: The Commission Loses Leverage In Pursuing Class Sexual Harassment Claims," Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Employment Law Newsletter, Volume 3, Issue 1 (Winter 2008).
"Declaratory Relief," Illinois Civil Practice: Preparing for Trial (2009 Edition), Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (2009).
"Welding Fume Litigation: Claims Fabricated From Thin Air?," Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Toxic Tort Newsletter, Volume 6, Issue 2 (Spring 2007).
"Juggling Hand Grenades: Representing The Company Threatened By The Hostile Employee," Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC) 2007 Fall Conference (October 2007).