Jared Shafer defends clients in premises liability, motor vehicle accidents (involving private passenger vehicles, commercial vehicles, and tractor-trailers), products liability, construction, property damage and subrogation matters throughout the state and federal courts of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. He has also developed expertise in litigating benzene exposure claims. A seasoned litigator, Mr. Shafer manages all phases of claims and lawsuits based in tort and/or contract law, from claim inception through trial, on behalf of individuals and small and large national companies, including numerous insurance companies. He is particularly adept at handling Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist claims as well as high exposure, complex multi-party cases.
In an effort to minimize a client's exposure and litigation costs, Mr. Shafer actively counsels clients concerning legal trends, impactful court opinions, investigations, and risk analysis and management.
Mr. Shafer lives in Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania with his wife, Hope, and daughter, Dillan. Besides his family and work, his passions are golf and cooking.
- Selected for inclusion in the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (no more than 2.5% of lawyers in the state under the age of 40 are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2012-2017).
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Obtained summary judgment in Philadelphia County for a client involved in a five-defendant, seven-figure construction accident lawsuit. Mr. Shafer's client was the only defendant removed from financial obligation; the other four defendants settled with Plaintiff for $4,000,000.
- Resolved a potential multi-million dollar, pre-litigation fire loss subrogation claim, without payment by the client, as a result of immediate, competent fire investigation and argument regarding controlling legal precedent.
- Obtained discontinuance of a slip and fall claim through early and detailed background investigation that revealed Plaintiff misled her counsel regarding her injuries and limitations.
- Achieved a zero liability finding from a Philadelphia County Arbitration Panel on behalf of his client, who claimed self-defense in response to two Plaintiffs' allegations of assault and battery claims following significant injuries during an altercation with Defendant.
- Achieved a zero liability finding from a New Jersey Arbitrator in a slip and fall claim related to liquid spilled in an aisle of a supermarket. Mr. Shafer represented the cleaning company hired by the supermarket to walk the premises and inspect it for problems such as spills. He achieved the zero liability finding by presenting evidence and argument showing a lack of notice of the spill by the cleaning company.
- Obtained dismissal of a significant UIM claim through the filing of a declaratory judgment action.
- Obtained dismissal of a million dollar subrogation claim through a particularly effective deposition of the plaintiff's principal witness, whose testimony completely impaired plaintiff's claim.
- Negotiated a favorable resolution of a property damage claim on behalf of his client, the general contractor for a national retailer, in a fire sprinkler malfunction case that flooded one of the national retailer's locations. Mr. Shafer obtained indemnification for his client from another defendant and reimbursement of remediation expenses his client paid to the national retailer to fix water damage due to the sprinkler malfunction.
- Settled a $100,000+ medical expense reimbursement claim through a nominal settlement after filing an effective Motion for Summary Judgment.
- Compelled a co-defendant to indemnify his client in a warehouse accident and to reimburse his client for attorney's fees incurred in its defense.
- Succeeded on a Motion for Summary Judgment in an asbestos case, despite his client being identified during depositions as having exposed Plaintiff to asbestos.
- Obtained a favorable settlement in a motor vehicle accident case wherein Plaintiff claimed multiple significant injuries and surgeries. Mr. Shafer specifically established Plaintiff's alleged limitations and then produced video surveillance that contradicted Plaintiff's alleged limitations.
- Orlando, FL, April 6-8, 2016
Articles & Publications
LexisNexis Practice Guide: Pennsylvania Personal Injury Litigation (2012 Edition, LexisNexis Matthew Bender).
Widener University School of Law, J.D. (2003)
Muhlenberg College, B.A., Psychology, Minor in Business Administration (1999)
- New Jersey, 2004
- Pennsylvania, 2004
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2006
- U.S. District Court, Third Circuit Court of Appeals, 2007