Jeffrey Singer is Co-Chairman of Segal McCambridge and serves on the firm's Executive Committee. He concentrates his trial practice in the areas of product liability and complex commercial litigation.
Mr. Singer has spent his entire professional life as a courtroom attorney and has tried more than 60 jury trials to verdict. He has over 25 years of experience serving as National Coordinating and Trial Counsel for a wide array of manufacturers, requiring him to try numerous complex cases in state and Federal courts throughout the United States.
Mr. Singer received national attention for his successful prosecution as lead trial counsel for the anti-trust case entitled JamSports, LLC v. Clear Channel Communications, gaining a $90 million verdict for the firm's client and setting the highest punitive damages award in the history of the Seventh Circuit. Mr. Singer has also defended several domestic and multi-national companies as their lead trial attorney for the defense of design defect product liability claims in class actions and individual lawsuits throughout the U.S.
In late 2010, Mr. Singer led a trial team to a triple defense verdict in a consolidated trial of three product liability lawsuits in the federal court in Portland, Oregon, involving a medical device which is the subject of hundreds of like lawsuits brought in federal and state courts against the firm's client and members of its industry. He serves as national trial and national coordinating counsel for that medical device company.
Mr. Singer is a founding member of Segal McCambridge and has served on its management committees for over 29 years, guiding the firm's success and growth. Mr. Singer earlier served as an Assistant State's Attorney of Cook County, Illinois, where he tried numerous violent crime jury trials to verdict.
- Top 10 Product Liability Defense Attorneys in Illinois, Leading Lawyers magazine, Business Edition (2014)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
- Recognized as an Illinois Leading Lawyer (a designation limited to less than 5% of all lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2005-2015)
- Selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers list (no more than 5% of lawyers in the state are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2005-2014)
- International Who's Who of Life Sciences Lawyers
- International Who's Who of Product Liability Defense Lawyers
- Who's Who in American Law
- Who's Who in North America
- Who's Who in Finance and Business
- Recognized in Lawyers Weekly regarding Top Ten Trial Verdicts (2006)
- Recognized by National Law Journal regarding Top 100 Jury Trial Verdicts (2005)
- MEDMARC "Defense Attorney of the Year" (1994)
- Frequent speaker at local and national attorney seminars and association meetings regarding the defense of product liability lawsuits, cost effective methods of defending catastrophic injury cases, techniques to prevent product liability claims, product safety warnings and effective measures representing client companies in complex jury trials.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine
- The Center for Wrongful Convictions, Advisory Board Member
- The Chicago Council on Global Affairs, President's Council
- Chicago Council on Litigation Management, Member
- Defense Research Institute
- The Economic Club of Chicago, Member
- Foundation for Excellence in Mental Health Care, Developmental Advisory Board Member
- Japan-American Society of Chicago
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Service Fraternity
- Product Liability Advisory Council, Sustaining Member
- Steppenwolf Theatre Company, Directors Circle
- Co-Chairman, Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney (2005 to date)
- As lead counsel, obtained a $22.5 million settlement with the City of Chicago, the largest settlement for a single plaintiff in the City's history, in a complex civil rights case seeking damages for our client, a young woman who suffered permanent catastrophic injuries after the Chicago police department failed to provide access to mental healthcare while she was in police custody.
- Successfully obtained bar of class certification in federal trademark case involving Internet commerce.
- Obtained $90 million jury verdict in federal court (N.D.Ill.) on behalf of plaintiff JamSports and Entertainment, a complex case involving tortious interference with contract and antitrust issues.
- Past or current national counsel retentions: pain pump litigation, human cadaver tissue litigation, latex glove allergy litigation, intra-uterine pressure catheter litigation, diet drug litigation, diesel fuel litigation.
- International Comparative Legal Guide to Product Liability to Include Article by Jeffrey Singer, Elizabeth Schieber, and Kyle Pozan7.3.13
- Segal McCambridge Achieves Motion for Summary Judgment and Dismissal in Multi-Million Dollar Odometer Fraud Class Action Case11.26.12
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Jeffrey Singer To Speak at Law Bulletin Seminars' Annual Judges Symposium10.5.12
- Segal McCambridge Attorneys Jeff Singer, Kim Kayiwa, and Mitch Morinec Gain Dismissal on Behalf of Generic Drug Manufacturer in High Damages Products Liability Case2.17.12
- Segal McCambridge Attorneys Succeed in Barring Two Plaintiffs' Experts from Arizona Infusion Pump Litigation1.27.11
- Segal McCambridge Attorneys Obtain Dismissal of Client Kimberly-Clark from Class Action in Children's Bath Product Case4.16.10
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Jeffrey Singer Named to Faculty of HB's Pharmaceutical Litigation Crash Course9.22.09
Chubb Life Sciences Adjusters Meeting, Chicago, IL, "Potential Liability of the Device Company Due to Sales Reps in the OR," (October 23, 2014).
Product Liability Advisory Council Fall 2014 Conference, Chicago, IL, "Defending the Product Manufacturer as a Safe Company," (October 16, 2014).
Law Bulletin Seminars' Annual Judges Symposium: Examining How We Can Improve the Litigation Process in Illinois, Chicago, IL (November 14, 2012).
Perrin Conferences' National Complex Litigation Conference: A Symposium on Current & Emerging Issues, Chicago, IL, "Class Actions: New Risks and New Defenses," panelist (June 27, 2012).
Law Bulletin Seminars' Case Evaluation 2011, Chicago IL (November 17, 2011).
Pharmaceutical Litigation Crash Course, HB Litigation Conferences (October 28, 2009).
American Conference Institute's Defending and Managing Automotive Product Liability Conference, Chicago, IL, "Jury Communication and Advocacy: Using Themes, Telling a Detailed Story, and Overcoming Sympathy for Plaintiffs and Bias Against Manufacturers" (October 29, 2008).
Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC) 2007 Fall Conference, Tucson, AZ, "The Disgruntled, Hostile, or Discredited Employee" (October 17-19, 2007).
Defense Research Institute's Strictly Automotive Seminar, San Diego, CA, "Patience, Persistence and a Personal Touch - A Practical Approach to Settling Product Liability Cases" (September 6-7, 2007).
Mealey's Defense Strategies in Pharmaceutical Litigation Conference, Dana Point, CA, panelist, "Responding Effectively to an Industry Under Attack," and "Defusing Punitive Damages at Trial" (January 26-27, 2006).
2005 Billboard Roadwork Touring Conference & Awards, New York, NY, panelist, "I Fought The Law" (October 25-26, 2005).
Orthopaedic Manufacturing & Technology Exposition and Conference, Rosemont, IL, "Medical Device OEM and Supplier Contracts--A Study of the Legal Relationship" (June 21-22, 2005).
Product Liability Advisory Council, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, "FOIA, Attorney - Client Privilege waiver in the European Community and Other Issues" (April 22, 2004).
Mealey's Innovative Defense Strategies in Drug & Medical Device Litigation Conference, Scottsdale, AZ (March 22, 2004).
Product Liability Advisory Council, Orlando, FL, "Applying the Lessons of the Past to the Litigation of the Future" (November 6, 2003).
Mealey's Emerging Drugs and Medical Devices Seminar, Naples, FL (December 19, 2002).
Articles & Publications
"Federal Agency Records: Restricting Their Discovery and Use in Product Liability Litigation," DRI's Strictly Speaking Newsletter (January 2006).
Co-author, "FOIA Disclosures: Restricting Their Discovery and Use by Opposing Counsel," Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Toxic Tort Newsletter, Volume 4, Issue 1 (Spring 2005).
"Parties to Product Liability Cases," Handbook of Product Liability Practice, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (2003).
"Declaratory Relief," Illinois Civil Practice, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (2003).
"Recent Developments in Products, General Liability and Consumer Law," 35 Tort & Ins. L. J. 553 (Winter 2000).
"Parties to Product Liability Cases," Handbook of Product Liability Practice, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (1999).
"Defeating the Plaintiffs Automotive Products Case," Daubert Revisited, Defense Research Institute (1998).
"Declaratory Relief," Illinois Civil Practice, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (1997).
"Parties to Product Liability Cases," Handbook of Product Liability Practice, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (1996).
"Preemption of State Law Product Liability Claims by Medical Device Amendments of 1976," Product Safety and Liability Reporter, Volume 23, Number 38 (September 29, 1995).
"Attacking Accident Reconstruction Testimony," For the Defense, Volume 34, Number 4 (April 1992).
- Illinois, 1975
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- More than 30 pro hac vice court admissions