Jill M. Felkins is a shareholder in the firm's Chicago office and serves as the Chair of the Toxic Tort Practice Group. Ms. Felkins is a trial and appellate attorney who devotes her practice to defending clients in the areas of products liability, premises liability, consumer claims, including FDCPA and TCPA matters, construction negligence, personal injury, class action, toxic tort, environmental litigation, transportation, and trucking. She provides a wide range of litigation services to her clients from initial analysis and pretrial workup through trial and appeal. Ms. Felkins practices in state and federal courts in Illinois, Indiana, and beyond. She has obtained summary judgment for national and local clients in multiple areas of law, including premises, toxic tort, transportation, and environmental contamination coverage litigation. Her appellate practice includes favorable results in post-trial and interlocutory appeals.
Ms. Felkins is a member of the firm's Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee. She also volunteers as a guardian ad litem through Chicago Volunteer Legal Services. In that capacity, she has successfully protected the best interests of multiple children in the Chicago area.
- Named an Emerging Lawyer by Leading Lawyers (The distinction of being named an “Emerging Lawyer” is reserved for the top 2% of Illinois lawyers who are 40 years old or younger and have been identified by their peers as proving themselves to be professional, ethical and experienced at an early point in their legal career.), 2017-2021
- Selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (no more than 2.5% of lawyers in the state under the age of 40 are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community, 2014-2021
- CALI Award for Excellence, Products Liability, 2007
- CALI Award for Excellence, Property, 2005
- Senior Production Editor, Federal Communications Law Journal
- Best Brief Award, Sherman Minton Moot Court Competition
- Brief editor and oralist, National Telecommunications Moot Court Competition
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Alzheimer's Association volunteer
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court in a trucking rollover accident. Succeeded in getting plaintiff’s liability expert (an accident re-constructionist engineer) excluded and then subsequently obtained summary judgment based upon plaintiff’s failure to prove causation without expert opinion and testimony.
- Obtained summary judgment for premises defendant prior to the commencement of discovery.
- Obtained a successful reversal of an Indiana trial court's ruling certifying a class in LHO Indianapolis One Lessee, LLC v. Bowman (Indiana Court of Appeals, August 11, 2015).
- Stanley v. MidAmerican Energy Co., et al., Case: 1:12-cv-06073 (U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, October 22, 2013) Obtained summary judgment for utility company client on the basis that, as a property owner, it did not owe a duty to warn the plaintiff, the employee of an independent contractor, of exposure to asbestos because it did not control the construction methods of two of its power plants in Iowa. A copy of the opinion can be found here.
- Obtained dismissal due to lack of standing for client Kimberly-Clark Corporation in class action lawsuit involving children's bath products.
- Successfully obtained dismissal and an order compelling arbitration, which was affirmed by the Indiana Court of Appeals, in a class action lawsuit where plaintiffs sought damages for alleged fraudulent representations and inducement relating to a surgical training program. Connie Brumley v. Commonwealth Business College Education Corp., 945 N.E.2d 770 (Ind. Ct. App. 2011).
- Assisted with trial on behalf of an international cargo carrier in a breach of contract claim where jury returned a verdict for our client after less than 10 minutes of deliberations.
- Successfully defended a pharmaceutical manufacturer in a products liability case before the Indiana Supreme Court.
- Succeeded in barring a plaintiff's expert and screening company evidence from trial in an asbestos/silica/"mixed dust" case.
- Obtained summary judgment for a property owner in a case of first impression in Iowa brought by an employee of an independent contractor in an asbestos exposure case.
Published Appellate Opinions
LHO Indianapolis One Lessee, LLC v. Bowman, 40 N.E.3d 1264 (Ind. Ct. App. 2015)
Connie Brumley v. Commonwealth Business College Education Corp., 945 N.E.2d 770 (Ind. Ct. App. 2011)
Kovach v. Caligor Midwest, et al., 913 N.E.2d 193 (Ind. 2009)
- Segal McCambridge Congratulates Its Attorneys Selected to the 2021 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Star Lists1.29.21
- Segal McCambridge Congratulates Its Attorneys Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Star Lists2.5.20
- Segal McCambridge Congratulates the 23 Attorneys Selected to the 2020 Leading and Emerging Lawyers Lists1.24.20
- Chicago Shareholder Jill M. Felkins and Chicago Associate Mandy Black Prevail on Motion for Summary Judgment in Premises Liability Case6.30.17
- Chicago Shareholder Jill M. Felkins and Chicago Associate Joi Kamper Prevail on Motion for Summary Judgment in Asbestos Exposure Case5.3.17
- Segal McCambridge Attorneys Obtain Dismissal of Client Kimberly-Clark from Class Action in Children's Bath Product Case4.16.10
- Segal McCambridge Attorneys Succeed in Barring Plaintiff's Expert in Indiana "Mixed Dust" Litigation3.17.10
- Segal McCambridge Attorneys Succeed in Effort to Bar Plaintiff's Experts and Screening Company Evidence11.6.09
- Webinar, 12.3.20
- New Orleans, LA, 11.9.16
- Chicago, IL, 5.17.16
"Personal Jurisdiction," Perrin Conferences' 2016 Asbestos Defense Strategic Summit, New Orleans, LA (November 9, 2016).
"Current Trends in Product Liability Class Action Litigation," Perrin Conferences' 2016 Products Liability Class Action Conference, Chicago, IL (May 17, 2016).
Articles & Publications
- Chicago Lawyer Magazine, 8.9.21
- ABA Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee Newsletter, Spring 2015
"A Survey of Asbestos Litigation - Nationally and in Indiana," Indiana Civil Litigation Review, Volume V, Number 2 (2008).
Indiana University School of Law - Bloomington, J.D., cum laude, 2007
Indiana University - Bloomington, B.A., Journalism, Highest Distinction, 2004
- Illinois, 2008
- Indiana, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois, 2018
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2008
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2012