John M. Borelli focuses his practice on labor and employment litigation representing employers in Pennsylvania and New Jersey state and federal courts and before governmental agencies. His broad experience includes allegations of wrongful discharge, discrimination, whistleblower claims and claims arising under Title VII, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the Equal Pay Act and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA).
Mr. Borelli also represents clients in commercial disputes related to allegations of unfair competition and false advertising arising under state and federal law as well as matters involving allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets and commercial disparagement.
Mr. Borelli is experienced in premises liability, construction accident and products liability matters. He has defended municipalities and individual police officers in claims alleging excessive force, unlawful search and seizure and unlawful arrest. Prior to entering law school, Mr. Borelli served more than four years as a police officer with the Baltimore Police Department.
- Achieved a dismissal of charges on behalf of a college in an EEOC claim alleging violations of Title VII and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. Submitted a response to the charges of discrimination that led the EEOC to close its investigation due to lack of information substantiating the alleged violations.
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice in a wrongful termination claim under the New Jersey Conscientious Employee Protection Act on behalf of a medical practice.
- Successfully defended a charter school in a Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission (PHRC) claim alleging termination based on age discrimination, assisting client through the investigation by the PHRC, including responding to the PHRC's requests for various documents. PHRC dismissed the complaint based on failure to establish probable cause to support the alleged unlawful discrimination.
- Department of Labor Issues Employee Classification Memo Under the Fair Labor Standards Act7.16.15
Articles & Publications
Contributing Editor, LexisNexis Practice Guide: Pennsylvania Personal Injury Litigation (2012 Edition, LexisNexis Matthew Bender).
University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D., cum laude (2005)
LaSalle University, B.A. (1996)
- New Jersey, 2005
- Pennsylvania, 2005
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2012