Joseph Cagnoli, Jr. is a trial lawyer who represents individuals, corporations, and public entities in product liability, toxic tort/environmental litigation and matters involving alleged municipal/public entity liability.
Mr. Cagnoli, an At-Large Committee Member for the Segal McCambridge Executive Committee, is a leading attorney in oil and gas/hydrofracturing matters, frequently speaking and writing on this emerging area of environmental litigation. Mr. Cagnoli also has significant experience representing manufacturers of vehicles and commercial and industrial equipment in product liability and environmental matters including benzene, asbestos and other chemical exposures. He is heavily involved in matters related to asbestos bankruptcy trusts. Mr. Cagnoli was integral in drafting an unprecedented discovery order in Montgomery County, PA, that requires plaintiffs to apply for and disclose all bankruptcy trust submissions to defendants in third-party asbestos litigation. He also represents clients in matters in the areas of film, music and the arts, including retention as a legal consultant on a feature film.
Mr. Cagnoli is well-versed in all aspects of trial preparation and proceedings and has litigated in state and federal courts in multiple jurisdictions including Pennsylvania, California, Texas, and Delaware. Mr. Cagnoli handles all aspects of case management and analysis, witness deposition, expert development, settlement negotiation, and trial.
For over ten years, Mr. Cagnoli has served as national coordinating counsel for a high tech corporation. In this role, he directs and implements his client's national litigation strategy.
A Pennsylvania native, Mr. Cagnoli lives outside Philadelphia with his wife, Lori, and three daughters.
- Recognized as a Top Rated Lawyer in Mass Torts by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell®, 2013-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Disciplinary Board - Senior Hearing Committee Member (2003-2009)
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Currently represents a major aircraft manufacturer in product liability litigation.
- Currently represents an excess insurer for a public school district in a gang-related murder case.
- Retained to represent ink manufacturer in alleged Benzene matter.
- Currently represents an industrial crane manufacturer in product liability litigation.
- Currently represents an excess insurer for a municipality in a police shooting case.
- Lead defense counsel in an oil and gas/hydraulic fracturing matter in Pennsylvania.
- Retained as legal consultant on courtroom/crime drama feature film.
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Joseph Cagnoli To Speak at National Business Institute Asbestos Conference10.19.11
Perrin Conferences Webinar, "Gasland vs. Fracknation: A Discussion of the Future Litigation on Gas Exploration," (March 13, 2013).
Perrin Conferences Continuing Education Seminar for Resolute Midwest, "Current Issues in Pennsylvania Asbestos Litigation," Chicago, IL (June 14, 2012).
2012 Annual Emerging and Environmental Claims Managers Association (EECMA) Spring Conference, "Damage Control: Estimating Economic Risk in Environmental & Product Liability Litigation," Captiva Island, FL (May 2-4, 2012).
National Business Institute's Asbestos: Current Issues and Effective Litigation Tactics, "Litigation Tactics," Philadelphia, PA (November 15, 2011).
Defense of Phenolic Resin Manufacturers in Electrician Cases, Rogers Corporation National Asbestos Litigation Meeting, Chair/Presenter (2010).
2007 Pennsylvania Asbestos Case Law Review, Liberty Mutual (2008).
Use of Technology in Defending the Asbestos Case, Internal Presentation to MDWCG IT Department (2008).
Defending the Thermoset Molding Materials Defendant, Rogers Corporation National Asbestos Litigation Meeting, Chair/Presenter (2007).
Defending the Industrial Equipment Manufacturer in Pennsylvania Asbestos Litigation, Clark Equipment Co. National Meeting (2007).
Recent Nationwide Developments/Trends in Asbestos Litigation, Rogers Corporation National Asbestos Litigation Meeting, Chair/Presenter (2006).
Third Party Case Basics of the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Financial Responsibility Law, Pennsylvania Insurance Society (April 1999).
Bad Faith and the Peer Review Provisions of the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Financial Responsibility Law., MetLife Auto and Home, Rocky Hill, CT (July 1998).
Monthly presentations on current developments in Pennsylvania Legislation to SEPCA membership and guests, Southeastern Pennsylvania Claims Association (January 1997 - May 1998).
Articles & Publications
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court Rules Co-Worker Affidavits Do Not Provide Sufficient Evidence to Create Genuine Issue of Material FactSegal McCambridge Client Alert, 3.2.15
- Asbestos Litigation, Attorney Advertising & Bankruptcy Trusts: The Economic Incentives Behind The New Recruitment Of Lung Cancer Cases12.4.13
"Pennsylvania Supreme Court Rejects 'Each and Every Fiber' Theory," Segal McCambridge Client Alert (June 2012).
"Understanding the Opportunity and Myths Regarding Shale Gas Exploration," Segal McCambridge Client Alert (September 2011).
"Pennsylvania 'Fair Share Act' 2.0," Segal McCambridge Client Alert.
"Tamraz: Testing the Sanctity of Expert Conclusions Under Daubert," Segal McCambridge's Toxic Tort Newsletter, Vol. 9, Issue 1 (Winter 2010-2011).
Co-author, "Bisphenol A: Research, Rhetoric and Risk," Segal McCambridge's Toxic Tort Newsletter, Vol. 9, Issue 1 (Winter 2010-2011).
"At The Sound Of The Gun," Defense Digest, Vol 3, No. 1, 1997.
"Public Policy Challenge to 'Household Exclusion' Clauses Rejected by Pa. Supreme Court," Defense Digest, Vol. 4, No. 5, 1998.
"The Philadelphia Story: Asbestos Litigation, Bankruptcy Trusts and Changes in Exposure Allegations from 1991-2010," Mealey's Litigation Report: Asbestos, Vol. 27, #19 (November 7, 2012).