Ken Williams is a shareholder in Segal McCambridge's Michigan office where he focuses his practice on representing insurers and providing coverage advice in a range of issues for both commercial and personal lines carriers. In addition to his trial litigation practice, his experience includes counseling insurers on an array of coverage issues, and representing insurers in bad faith, and declaratory relief lawsuits in cases involving general liability, homeowner, auto, along with E&O policies, among others.
Mr. Williams is also a participant, speaker and writer for the firm's Technology & Cyber Risk Practice Group. He participates in consulting and research on current and upcoming industry trends, technology, standards, best practices, concepts and solutions for risk management and compliance. Mr. Williams is also available to serve as a consult in cyber risk management. His additional areas of expertise focus on insurance coverage and claim analysis for insurance carriers and private clients
Joining the firm as a lateral hire in 2017, Mr. Williams came to Segal McCambridge with career experience as a dedicated litigator. He has sophisticated familiarity trying cases in courtrooms across the state of Michigan with a marked history trying cases which resulted in defense verdicts. He also has litigated matters in Illinois and Florida. In addition to his notable trial work, Mr. Williams has significant experience at the appellate level, including post appellate-submission work which includes oral argument before the Michigan Court of Appeals. Mr. Williams has also served as firm managing attorney and lead trial counsel throughout his work as a trial attorney.
Before joining Segal McCambridge, Mr. Williams was a shareholder in a Michigan civil defense firm. His previous work also includes time as an in-house staff attorney and as a litigation specialist/ consultant for two national insurance groups where he had significant jury trial experience and where he managed catastrophic claims and high exposure files.
Mr. Williams attended law school at Wayne State University and received his B.A. in English and Political Science from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He is also chair of the firm's Diversity & Inclusion Committee, often being called up to speak on relevant topics at outside conferences and seminars. Outside of work, Mr. Williams spends his time strength training and practicing yoga. He enjoys movies and writing fictional pieces.
- Recognized as a Michigan Leading Lawyer (a designation limited to less than 5% of all lawyers licensed to practice law in Michigan), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2019)
- Recognized as a Lawyer of Distinction, selected based on a review and vetting process by the Selection Committee analyzing work, experience and abilities based upon twelve independent criteria (2019)
Professional & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Christian Legal Aid of Southeast Michigan (CLASM)
- Shareholders Madina Axelrod and Kenneth P. Williams to Share Insights on Increasing Diversity in Law Firms4.26.19
- Indianapolis, IN, 2.27.19
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Kenneth Williams to Serve on Planning Committee for 2019 DRI Diversity for Success SeminarNew Orleans, LA, 1.19.19
- Shareholders Madina Axelrod and Kenneth Williams to Speak at Perrin Diversity & Inclusion ConferenceThe Union League of Philadelphia, 11.1.18
- Loews Hotel, 9.6.18
- Chicago, IL, 6.15.18
- Orlando, Florida, April 15-18, 2018
PLRB 2018 Central Regional Adjusters Conference, Des Moines, IA, Speaker (September 12, 2018)
PLRB Homeowners Liability Coverage, Speaker: Current Trends Webinar (August 9, 2018)
PLRB 2018 Western Regional Adjusters Conference, Glendale, AZ, Speaker (June 26, 2018)
Wayne State University Law School, Judge: Trial Advocacy Program (September 22, 2018 and October 13, 2018)
DRI Diversity for Success Conference, Planning Committee (2015-2017)
Detroit Bar Association (DBA), Educator: Third Circuit Court and DBA's "Law Day 2017 Detroit" (May 10, 2017)
Wayne State University Law School, Judge: Trial Advocacy Program (September 23, 2017 and October 14, 2017)
Articles & Publications
- Black Student's Guide to Law Schools & Firms, 4.19.19