Kerry Lynn Rhoads is a Shareholder in the firm's Michigan office. Ms. Rhoads is an experienced litigator who serves clients at both the state and federal levels. She practices in the areas of professional liability, products liability, pharmaceutical and medical device litigation, errors and omissions, civil rights defense, employment law, transportation negligence, premises liability, insurance coverage, and fraud. This array of experience has led to her serving as trial and appellate counsel for her clients. Ms. Rhoads is also active with her clients on an ongoing basis, providing consultations on pre-litigated matters, assisting with risk management, and presenting seminars on pressing topics.
Ms. Rhoads successfully represents her clients at all stages of litigation, including court appearances, depositions, facilitation, trial and appeals, and has represented a wide range of entities, both public and private.
- Appointed to the Judicial Candidate Evaluation Committee by the Detroit Bar Association
- Appointed a District Court Case Evaluator in Oakland County, MI, by the Oakland County Bar Association
- Appointed to Michigan State Bar District I Character and Fitness Committee
- Appointed a Circuit Court Case Evaluator in Oakland County, MI and Wayne County, MI
- Judge, 2017 National Trial Competition, Regional Competition, sponsored by the Michigan State University College of Law and the Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Judge, 2009 National Trial Competition, Regional Competition, sponsored by the American College of Trial Lawyers and the Texas Young Lawyer's Association
- Judge, 2008 National Trial Advocacy Competition, sponsored by the Michigan State University College of Law
Professional & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Detroit Bar Association, Judicial Candidate Evaluation Committee
- H.E.L.P. Program
- Member, State Bar of Michigan
- Member, Michigan State Bar Association, Insurance and Indemnity Law Section
- Member, Michigan State Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section
- Author and Member, Michigan State Bar Association, Negligence Section
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Oakland County Free Legal Aid Clinic
- Ohio Bar Association
- Obtained dismissal of an Michigan Department of Civil Rights claim involving allegations of disability discrimination against nonprofit corporation
- Received summary disposition on behalf of premises owner in a general negligence claim where Plaintiff sought $500,000 at mediation.
- After appeal by Plaintiff, obtained summary judgment and award of attorney fees and costs on behalf of a mortgage broker who was sued by a wholesale lender in commercial dispute.
- Achieved dismissal of $100,000+ breach of contract claim involving a services contract.
- Obtained dismissal of an EEOC/Michigan Department of Civil Rights claim involving allegations of race discrimination against mental health provider.
- Recently obtained summary disposition and an award of costs and fees from a third party for a commercial transportation client on a case with a seven figure demand.
- Obtained dismissal of an EEOC/Michigan Department of Civil Rights claim involving allegations of disability discrimination and HIPAA violation against mental health provider.
- Obtained dismissal of an EEOC/Michigan Department of Civil Rights claim involving allegations of race and disability discrimination on behalf of a medical facility.
- Obtained summary disposition in UCC/Warranty/Magnuson Moss/Consumer Protection Act matter on behalf of an automobile company supplier.
- Obtained $0 case evaluation awards in UCC/Warranty/Magnuson Moss/Consumer Protection Act matters on behalf of an automobile company supplier on two separate occasions.
- Obtained a $0 case evaluation award on behalf of a commercial client in a commercial negligence matter.
- Obtained dismissal of a Michigan Department of Civil Rights/EEOC complaint involving allegations of race discrimination against a machine shop.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a client in a transportation negligence action.
- Successfully represented various employers, including union shops, in EEOC claims involving allegations of age, race and disability discrimination.
- Counsels a major nonprofit charitable organization on employment law and professional liability matters.
- Obtained defense verdict in transportation negligence case where plaintiff asked for $600,000.
- Has successfully handled numerous appellate matters, including briefing and oral arguments before the Michigan Court of Appeals, the Michigan Supreme Court and the Federal 6th Circuit.
Published Appellate Opinions
Perez v. Oakland County, 466 F.3d 416 (6th Cir. 2006)
Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters Society Symposium (September 2005)
Articles & Publications
Construction Litigation Desk Reference, Michigan chapter, Defense Research Institute’s Defense Library Series (August 2014).
Construction Litigation Desk Reference, Michigan chapter, Defense Research Institute's Defense Library Series (February 2010).
Wayne State University, J.D., cum laude (1996)
Michigan State University, B.A., with Honors (1993)
- Michigan, 1996
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2010
- Ohio, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2011