Kerry Rhoads-Reith is an experienced litigator who serves clients at both the state and federal levels. Ms. Reith has vast experience in professional and personal lines, including the areas of professional liability, errors and omissions, civil rights defense, employment law, transportation negligence, premises liability, coverage, and fraud. She is also active with her clients on an ongoing basis, providing consultations on pre-litigated matters, assisting with risk management, and presenting seminars on pressing topics. Ms. Reith successfully represents her clients at all stages of litigation, including court appearances, depositions, facilitation, trial and appeals, and has represented a wide range of entities, both public and private.
- Appointed a Circuit Court Case Evaluator in Oakland County, MI and Wayne County, MI
- Judge, 2009 National Trial Competition, Regional Competition, sponsored by the American College of Trial Lawyers and the Texas Young Lawyer's Association
- Judge, 2008 National Trial Advocacy Competition, sponsored by the Michigan State University College of Law
Professional & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- H.E.L.P. Program
- Michigan Bar Association, Negligence Section, Author
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Oakland County Free Legal Aid Clinic
- Ohio Bar Association
- Received summary disposition on behalf of premises owner in a general negligence claim where Plaintiff sought $500,000 at mediation.
- After appeal by Plaintiff, obtained summary judgment and award of attorney fees and costs on behalf of a mortgage broker who was sued by a wholesale lender in commercial dispute.
- Achieved dismissal of $100,000+ breach of contract claim involving a services contract.
- Obtained dismissal of an EEOC/Michigan Department of Civil Rights claim involving allegations of race discrimination against mental health provider.
- Recently obtained summary disposition and an award of costs and fees from a third party for a commercial transportation client on a case with a seven figure demand.
- Obtained dismissal of an EEOC/Michigan Department of Civil Rights claim involving allegations of disability discrimination and HIPAA violation against mental health provider.
- Obtained dismissal of an EEOC/Michigan Department of Civil Rights claim involving allegations of race and disability discrimination on behalf of a medical facility.
- Obtained summary disposition in UCC/Warranty/Magnuson Moss/Consumer Protection Act matter on behalf of an automobile company supplier.
- Obtained $0 case evaluation awards in UCC/Warranty/Magnuson Moss/Consumer Protection Act matters on behalf of an automobile company supplier on two separate occasions.
- Obtained a $0 case evaluation award on behalf of a commercial client in a commercial negligence matter.
- Obtained dismissal of a Michigan Department of Civil Rights/EEOC complaint involving allegations of race discrimination against a machine shop.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a client in a transportation negligence action.
- Successfully represented various employers, including union shops, in EEOC claims involving allegations of age, race and disability discrimination.
- Counsels a major nonprofit charitable organization on employment law and professional liability matters.
- Obtained defense verdict in transportation negligence case where plaintiff asked for $600,000.
- Has successfully handled numerous appellate matters, including briefing and oral arguments before the Michigan Court of Appeals, the Michigan Supreme Court and the Federal 6th Circuit.
Published Appellate Opinions
Perez v. Oakland County, 466 F.3d 416 (6th Cir. 2006)
Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters Society Symposium (September 2005)
Articles & Publications
Construction Litigation Desk Reference, Michigan chapter, Defense Research Institute’s Defense Library Series (August 2014).
Construction Litigation Desk Reference, Michigan chapter, Defense Research Institute's Defense Library Series (February 2010).
Michigan State University, B.A., 1993, with Honors
Wayne State University, J.D., 1996, cum laude
- Michigan, 1996
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2010
- Ohio, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2011