Trial attorney Kevin Bugos concentrates his litigation practice in the areas of employment litigation, professional liability and medical malpractice defense. Over the course of his career, Mr. Bugos has successfully tried numerous cases involving catastrophic injury to verdict on behalf of his clients. As primary attorney in his cases, he is responsible for handling all aspects of litigation, including pre-suit investigation, pleadings, fact and expert discovery, trial and appeal.
In the professional liability context, Mr. Bugos has defended a range of professionals including accountants, lawyers, medical providers, architects, engineers and directors and officers. He also represents hospitals, physicians, long-term care facilities and nursing homes facing medical malpractice claims. A seasoned employment litigator, Mr. Bugos has counseled some of the country's largest restaurant, hotel, food store, commercial property and gaming companies in the United States in matters such as discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge and breach of contract. Mr. Bugos is also experienced in defending product liability claims involving medical devices and pharmaceuticals.
Mr. Bugos serves his clients through a litigation philosophy based on thorough fact investigation and early analysis. His investigation skills enable him to achieve cost-effective results that allow clients to evaluate the bottom line of a case in the early stages of litigation. Mr. Bugos' continued record of success led to his inclusion in the 2012 Super Lawyers Rising Stars list as one of the top young attorneys in Illinois. No more than 2.5% of the lawyers in the State of Illinois under the age of 40 are selected to this list.
Mr. Bugos first developed his trial skills as an Assistant State's Attorney in the criminal division of the DuPage County State's Attorney's Office from 1997 through 2001, where he successfully prosecuted serious felony and misdemeanor cases. As a prosecutor, he tried hundreds of bench trials and over 50 jury trials to verdict.
Mr. Bugos has been certified as a Litigation Management Professional through the Litigation Management Institute. He earned this certification at Columbia Law School in 2014.
Mr. Bugos volunteers his time at Ronald McDonald House and the Cardinal Joseph Bernardin Catholic Regional Grade School, where he serves on its Board and Long-Range Planning Committee. Mr. Bugos resides in Tinley Park, Illinois with his wife and three children.
- The Christfidelis Award, bestowed by Cardinal Francis George in Chicago for faithfulness and dedication to the Catholic church and community (October 2014)
- CALI Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- Special Commendation from the DuPage County State's Attorney's Office for Outstanding Service (2001)
- Selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (no more than 5% of lawyers in the state are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2012)
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Board of the Cardinal Joseph Bernardin Catholic Regional School
- Chicago Bar Association, member of the Judicial Evaluation Committee
- Defense Research Institute
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Long-Term Care Risk Legal Forum
- Professional Liability Underwriters Society
- Obtained Directed Verdict for two Resident Physicians in Cook County medical malpractice trial involving an alleged nerve transection during an orthopedic shoulder surgery..
- Successfully obtained dismissal of legal malpractice case at the pleadings stage for criminal defense lawyers accused of misconduct by their former client.
- Achieved dismissal of a national urgent care center in a medical malpractice case alleging wrongful death of a 3-year old child.
- Obtained dismissal of an age discrimination claim against a well-known Chicago restaurant.
- Successfully moved to dismiss a Chicago hospital in a high-profile negligence action for a nurse's alleged assault of a patient.
- Successfully defended a hernia mesh manufacturer in a product liability/medical malpractice claim in Madison County.
- Obtained summary judgment in Federal Court for the Ford Heights Police Department in a case involving a traffic accident with serious personal injury.
- Obtained judgment in favor of a local Chicago hospital defending a premises liability claim in arbitration.
- As trial counsel, received a "not guilty" verdict in a legal malpractice claim involving a dispute over trade secrets.
- Won summary judgment defending a national hotel against a products liability claim involving an allegedly defective pool vent cover.
- Obtained summary judgment for a national cleaning company in a case alleging negligence after an employee allegedly battered a former customer of the company.
Published Appellate Opinions
People v. Schambow, 305 Ill. App. 3d 763 (2nd Dist. 1999)
- Segal McCambridge Attorney Kevin Bugos Obtains Summary Judgment for Client Ford Heights Police Department in Accident Case10.12.11
"The Standard of Care for a Successful Deposition in a Malpractice Case," Kindred Hospital Chicago-Northlake, (May 28, 2014).
“The Standard of Care for a Successful Deposition in a Malpractice Case,” MacNeal Hospital (January 20, 2014).
“The Standard of Care for a Successful Deposition in a Malpractice Case,” Weiss Memorial Hospital (October 23, 2013).
“Litigating Spoliation of Evidence Claims in Illinois,” In-house presentation at SMSM, December 10, 2013.
"Lawsuit Prevention and Paper Documentation," Weiss Memorial Hospital (December 7, 2011).
"Post-Accident Repair and Maintenance of Property Without Spoliation of Evidence," Illinois Municipal League's 98th Annual Conference (September 15-17, 2011).
"Legal Aspects of DUI Enforcement," College of DuPage (2001).
"LexisNexis Practice Guide: Illinois Personal Injury Litigation" (2014 Edition).
- Architects & Engineers
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Employment Litigation & Counseling
- Medical & Dental Malpractice
- Medical Devices
- Medical Negligence & Healthcare Liability Litigation
- Nursing Homes, Long-Term Care & Assisted Living Facilities Liability
- Pharmaceutical & Medical Device Litigation
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Judicial Externship - Honorable Blanche Manning, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1996-1997
University of Notre Dame, B.S. with honors (Political Science), 1994
Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 1997
- Dean's List five of six semesters
- Illinois, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, General and Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois, General and Trial Bar