Madina Axelrod concentrates her practice on product liability, toxic tort and commercial litigation. She handles these matters from inception to trial, including conducting and defending depositions, arguing motions, and resolving matters through negotiation, mediation and arbitration. Ms. Axelrod has obtained numerous dismissals for equipment manufacturers in commercial and toxic tort actions.
Ms. Axelrod serves as National Coordinating Counsel ("NCC"), Regional Counsel and local counsel for multinational equipment manufacturers and other defendants in asbestos litigation. As NCC, she manages nationwide asbestos litigation, develops strategy, creates budgets, prepares corporate witnesses for deposition, coordinates expert and fact witness discovery, and conducts settlement negotiations.
Upon obtaining her Juris Doctor from the Moscow State Academy of Law in 1997, Ms. Axelrod practiced law in Moscow, Russia serving as in-house counsel for Russia’s largest brewing company. In 2002, Ms. Axelrod obtained her LL.M degree from Cornell Law School. Ms. Axelrod’s education and work experience allow her to provide the firm’s clients with a broad range of legal services pertaining to international law and Russian civil procedure, intellectual property, and commercial and labor law.
Since 2014, Ms. Axelrod has been a member of Segal McCambridge’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee and in 2018 was appointed Chairperson. She is a committed advocate for those without access to legal resources. As a volunteer for inMotion, Ms. Axelrod counsels and represents women in New York City regarding various legal matters. She also represents homeless individuals through her involvement with H.E.L.P. New York.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- New York Bar Association
- H.E.L.P. New York
- Serves as National Coordinating Counsel for several major U.S. companies.
- Resolved cases nationwide through negotiation, mediation and arbitration.
- Drafted and argued various pre-trial and summary judgment motions.
- Prepared and presented key corporate witnesses for Rule 30(b)(6) depositions.
- Successfully represented international pharmaceutical company in multi-million dollar contractual dispute which resulted in appointment of receiver.
- Negotiated acquisition of Russian domain name for U.S. company.
- Segal McCambridge Credits up to 25 Hours Devoted to Pro Bono and/or Diversity and Inclusion Work Towards Billable Hours9.12.18
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Kenneth Williams to Serve on Planning Committee for 2019 DRI Diversity for Success SeminarNew Orleans, LA, 6.19.19
- Shareholders Madina Axelrod and Kenneth Williams to Speak at Perrin Diversity & Inclusion ConferenceThe Union League of Philadelphia, 11.1.18
- Segal McCambridge Singer and Mahoney, 7.30.18
- Chicago, IL, 6.15.18
American Bar Association's 26th Annual Spring Meeting, "Hot Topics in Toxic and Environmental Law." In-House Counsel Panelist: "The Do's and Dont's for Outside Lawyers." Phoenix, AZ (April 6-8, 2017).
Articles & Publications
- And The Defense Wins: Shareholders Jason Eckerly, William Mahoney, Madina Axelrod, and Steven Rosenblatt Featured in The VoiceThe Voice, DRI's Weekly e-Newsletter, 5.2.18
"Case Notes: Eastern District of New York Grants Construction Worker's MSJ Against Premises Owner in a Case Brought under New York Labor Law § 240(1) (The 'Scaffold Law')," Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's New York Advocate, Volume 1, Issue 3 (Fall 2007).
"Enforcement of Arbitral Awards in Russia," Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's New York Advocate, Volume 1, Issue 1 (Spring 2007).
The Moscow State Academy of Law, J.D. (1997)
Cornell Law School, LL.M. (2002)
- New York, 2003
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 2005
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2005