Matthew Kelly concentrates his litigation practice on professional liability defense and products liability defense involving pharmaceutical products, medical devices, and consumer products in state and federal courts throughout the country. He also represents companies in commercial disputes involving breach of contract, as well as financial institutions in consumer financial services matters. Mr. Kelly handles cases from initial client meeting to trial, and has substantial experience drafting and arguing procedural and dispositive motions, conducting depositions, and preparing complex matters for trial. In addition, he has experience facilitating electronic discovery requests involving hundreds of thousands of documents in complex products liability litigation.
Committed to giving back to the community, Mr. Kelly represents low-income individuals in a variety of pro bono matters. Recently, he successfully represented a French citizen whose daughter was the victim of an international abduction.
During law school, Mr. Kelly was a member of two of his school's moot court teams. Prior to beginning his law career, Mr. Kelly served as a Judicial Intern and a Legislative Aide.
- Judicial Intern to The Honorable Henry R. Simmons, Circuit Court of Cook County (2007)
- Legislative Aide to The Honorable Lorence Wenke, Michigan State Representative (2005)
- Second Best Brief, CBA Moot Court Team (2008)
- Captain of National Health Law Competition Moot Court Team (2007)
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, Volunteer Attorney
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice for medical device manufacturer in litigation involving allegations that the device caused the plaintiff to suffer thermal burns and severe injury to her internal organs.
- Serves as National Counsel for generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in a nationwide litigation involving Reglan©/metoclopramide.
- Authored successful motion for summary judgment leading to the dismissal of generic pharmaceutical manufacturer client.
- Obtained summary judgment and dismissal of healthcare client in Cook County wrongful death action.
- Assisted in obtaining a directed verdict for two physicians in a Cook County medical malpractice trial involving an alleged nerve transection during an orthopedic shoulder surgery.
- Obtained summary judgment in Cook County on behalf of healthcare client in premises action involving allegations that a dangerous condition caused Plaintiff to sustain injury to his lower extremity.
- Assisted in successful mediation in a wrongful death action in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where client contributed no money to the settlement.
“Chapter 4: Duty” 2013 supplement to Medical Malpractice, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (2011 Edition).
"LexisNexis Practice Guide: Illinois Personal Injury Litigation" (2015 Edition).
"LexisNexis Practice Guide: Illinois Personal Injury Litigation" (2014 Edition).
Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D. (2009)
- Dean’s List
Michigan State University, B.A., Economics and Political Science (2006)
- Illinois, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin