Megan Grossman is a shareholder in the firm’s Philadelphia office and serves as Co-Chair of the firm's Life Science, Medical Device and Pharmaceutical Practice Group. Ms. Grossman is a trial attorney representing companies in general and complex litigation matters. She concentrates her practice in general liability matters including products liability, employment, education, professional malpractice, and commercial litigation. Ms. Grossman is experienced in all stages of litigation, including the coordination of discovery, trial preparation, depositions, court appearances, fact investigation, and the drafting of pleadings, motions, and briefs in state and federal jurisdictions.
Having started her career in the biomedical field, Ms. Grossman now focuses her practice on representing various medical device and pharmaceutical companies in products liability matters relating to life sciences and biotechnology. She represents medical device companies in claims arising out of alleged malfunctions of surgical equipment, instruments, and implants; defending pharmaceutical companies in actions arising out of personal injury claims involving prescription medicines or over-the-counter (OTC) drugs; defending companies in relation to claims involving clinical trials; and serving as defense counsel in numerous mass-tort litigations both locally and nationwide. She has also defended several compounding pharmacies in wrongful death/medical malpractice matters.
Ms. Grossman has defended multiple charter schools in special education matters, including due process complaint hearings pursuant to the IDEA. She has also represented numerous companies in relation to employment disputes.
- Selected for inclusion in the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (no more than 2.5% of lawyers in the state under the age of 40 are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2008, 2013)
Professional & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute, Drug and Medical Device and Women in the Law Committee Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, former Civil Litigation Section Council Member
- Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney, Diversity Committee
- Drafted appellate brief in an OTC pharmaceutical (nasal spray) products liability matter which resulted in the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals affirming the U.S. District Court's decision to grant summary judgment on behalf of the pharmaceutical manufacturer. Read the District Court's decision here.
- Has helped defend other product liability cases including a construction accident case, a case for a component part distributor, golf car products liability cases, a class action lawsuit involving a flood, and a medical device case involving a patient lift manufacturer.
- Defending a compounding pharmacy in a wrongful death/medical malpractice action.
- Defending a roofing products manufacturer in warranty claims actions.
- Defended multiple charter schools in special education matters, including due process complaint hearings pursuant to the IDEA.
- Successfully defended a licensed auto tag and title-issuing agent in Philadelphia accused of negligently providing registration documents and a license plate which was later attached to a vehicle involved in a catastrophic accident involving a death, a paralysis, and personal injury.
- Philadelphia Shareholder Megan Grossman to Co-Chair HB Litigation Conferences' Drug & Device Defense Seminar for Third Consecutive YearPhiladelphia, PA, 12.13.16
- La Jolla, California, June 8-10, 2016
- For the Defense: Litigation Across the Drug and Device SpecturmChicago Marriott Downtown, 5.19.16
- Atlantic City New Jersey, 4.21.16
- The Hub Cira Centre, 2929 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA, 10.20.15
- Segal McCambridge Philadelphia Shareholder Megan Grossman to Speak at Northeast Corporate Counsel Forum4.20.15
- Philadelphia, PA, 3.24.15
- Atlantic City, NJ, 2.19.15
HB Litigation Conferences presents Drug & Device Defense: Emerging Litigation and Regulatory Developments, Philadelphia, PA (October 20, 2015).
HB Litigation Conferences presents Drug & Device Defense: Emerging Litigation and Regulatory Developments, Philadelphia, PA (October 22, 2014).
HB Litigation Conferences Northeast Corporate Counsel Forum 2016, "Emerging Risks of Today," Atlantic City, New Jersey (April 21, 2016).
HB Litigation Conferences Northeast Corporate Counsel Forum 2015, "Ethics: In-House Counsel and Attorney-Client Privilege," Atlantic City, NJ (April 20, 2015).
Legal Intelligencer/ALM In-House Counsel CLE Seminar, "Product Liability Litigation Trends for 2015," Philadelphia, PA (March 24, 2015).
Dispute Resolution Institute's Personal Injury Potpourri, "e-discovery in 'Garden Variety' Tort Cases," Philadelphia (April 7, 2011).
Articles & Publications
- Legal Intelligencer, 4.18.16
- What Every Compounding Pharmacy Should Know About Two Recent Initiatives: The Compounding Clarity Act and The Drug Quality and Security Act10.28.13
LexisNexis Practice Guide: Pennsylvania Personal Injury Litigation (2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 Editions, LexisNexis Matthew Bender).
Lehigh University, B.S. (Molecular Biology), 1996
Drexel University, M.S. (Biomedical Engineering), 2000
Villanova University, J.D., 2003
- New Jersey, 2003
- Pennsylvania, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit