Mitch Morinec is a shareholder in the Chicago office of Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney and serves as Chair of the firm's Life Sciences Practice Group. Mr. Morinec concentrates his practice in commercial, intellectual property and products liability litigation. He also represents nursing home and long-term care facilities in personal injury and wrongful death matters. Mr. Morinec has experience handling litigation matters in Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Colorado, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Massachusetts and New York. Mr. Morinec also serves as a Cook County arbitrator.
Mr. Morinec was named to the Illinois “Forty Under 40" Illinois Attorneys to Watch by The Law Bulletin Publishing Company in 2017. Out of 1300 submissions for 2017, only 40 Illinois attorneys were chosen for this prestigious award.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Morinec is a pro bono counsel for Lawyers for the Creative Arts, a non-profit organization that provides legal services to artists in the Chicagoland area, representing clients in intellectual property matters including copyright and trademark registration and protection, licensing negotiations, and general business disputes.
Mr. Morinec is an alumnus of Chicago’s legendary “City News Bureau,” where he covered and reported on crime in Chicago for numerous television, radio, and print media outlets locally and nationwide. He attended law school at DePaul University College of Law and is an alumnus of Washington University in St. Louis where he received an undergraduate degree in Economics and was a four-year letter winner for the University’s football team.
- Recognized as an Illinois Leading Lawyer (a designation limited to less than 5% of all lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2019)
- Named an Emerging Lawyer by Leading Lawyers (The distinction of being named an “Emerging Lawyer” is reserved for the top 2% of Illinois lawyers who are 40 years old or younger and have been identified by their peers as proving themselves to be professional, ethical and experienced at an early point in their legal career.) (2017-2018)Selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (no more than 2.5% of lawyers in the state under the age of 40 are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2011-2019)
- Named to the 2017 Chicago Daily Law Bulletin's list of "Forty Under 40" Illinois Attorneys to Watch
- CALI Award - Excellence in Legal Writing
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Chicago Public Schools, Real Men Read program, volunteer
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts, pro bono counsel
- After two years of litigation successfully obtained complete dismissal of lawsuit on behalf of condominium building management client in lawsuit claiming more than $1 million in damages by plaintiff alleging toxic mold exposure.
- Obtained dismissal outright on behalf of a multi-national prescription drug manufacturer in a products liability lawsuit alleging permanent neurological injury based on a recent United States Supreme Court ruling on the doctrine of federal pre-emption.
- Successfully defended appeal in the Illinois Appellate Court, First District, after prevailing on summary judgment on behalf of a privately held national company in a premises liability matter in the face of a $300,000 demand.
- Secured dismissal outright on behalf of Fortune 500 client in a commercial construction lawsuit claiming more than $12.5 million in total damages and $4.5 million against Segal McCambridge's client alone.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of a privately-held product manufacturer in a serious construction injury case where the plaintiff alleged strict liability.
- Obtained dismissal on summary judgment on behalf of multi-national client in six-figure construction-related claim resulting in dismissal of lawsuit in its entirety.
Published Appellate Opinions
Healey v. I-Flow, LLC, 853 F. Supp. 2d 868 (D. Minn. 2012)
- Shareholder Mitch Morinec Named One of "Forty Under 40" Illinois Attorneys to Watch by the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin11.17.17
- Segal McCambridge Recognizes Chicago Shareholder Paul E. Wojcicki as General Editor of the LexisNexis Illinois Personal Injury Litigation Practice Guide, 2015 Edition1.19.16
- Segal McCambridge Attorneys Jeff Singer, Kim Kayiwa, and Mitch Morinec Gain Dismissal on Behalf of Generic Drug Manufacturer in High Damages Products Liability Case2.17.12
- Segal McCambridge in Chicago Kicks Off CBF's Investing in Justice Campaign and Aims for 90% Participation in Pro Bono3.5.10
Panelist: DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, IL, "Remedies in the Real World of Litigation" (April 2011, November 2011, November 2012, November 2013, November 2014).
Speaker: Chicago Bar Association Section of Commercial Litigation, "Challenging a Trial Court Discovery Order via Civil Contempt" (November 2012).
Panel Judge: Loyola University School of Law, "Federal Appellate Advocacy" (November 2009).
Panelist: DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, IL, "Legal Writing in the Real World" (October 1, 2008).
"Civil Contempt as a Means of Challenging a Trial Court Discovery Order: What Attorneys Should Know for Purposes of Obtaining Appellate Jurisdiction," CBA Record, Vol. 25, No. 6, September 2011. (To read, click here.)
"LexisNexis Practice Guide: Illinois Personal Injury Litigation" (2015 Edition).
"LexisNexis Practice Guide: Illinois Personal Injury Litigation" (2014 Edition).
DePaul University College of Law, J.D. (2006)
Washington University in St. Louis, B.A. (2002)
- Illinois, 2006
- Federal Trial Bar, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2006
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 2010