Patrick Sullivan is an associate in the firm’s Chicago office focusing his practice on complex litigation. He is an accomplished litigator with extensive experience in professional liability, products liability, cyber liability and commercial defense.
He regularly litigates eight-figure cases through trial in jurisdictions across the country, handling every aspect of litigation from pleading through appeal.
Mr. Sullivan's professional liability experience centers on the defense of attorneys and medical professionals and entities - including hospitals, nursing homes, doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other medical professionals - relative to allegations of professional negligence and misconduct.
He recognizes that the cornerstone of a strong professional liability defense is guiding the jury towards the appreciation of the unique and challenging circumstances faced by professionals in their practice. He works closely with clients to help them better explain the intricacies of their specialized practice areas at deposition and trial.
Mr. Sullivan’s products liability experience includes product defect claims, drug and medical device litigation and toxic and mass tort exposure cases. He understands that modern juries often come with pre-conceived notions as to corporate responsibility, and he appreciates the impact this can have on what is often strict liability litigation. To counter this, he treats all products liability cases with a scientific strategy, combating a heart-strings approach with the undeniable realities of medicine, science and overarching benefits of government safety regulation.
His commercial litigation practice focuses on both the plaintiff and defense sides of litigation including contract disputes, corporate derivative actions, intellectual property litigation, cyber risk and liability litigation and associated appellate work.
Because commercial litigation is increasingly complex in this digitized world, Mr. Sullivan believes the best strategy for limiting risk is effective planning, review and oversight to maintain an informational edge and stay two-steps ahead of your opponent.
Prior to joining Segal McCambridge, Mr. Sullivan was a trial litigator for both the plaintiffs’ and defense bars. This experience gives him institutionalized knowledge of procedure and a unique perspective on litigation strategy - a perspective which he frequently shares through professional writing and presentations.
Mr. Sullivan graduated from the UIC John Marshall Law School, where he was a second-place finalist in the Herzog Moot Court Competition and received a CALI award in Remedies. He received his undergraduate degree in political science and economics from Bradley University, graduating Summa Cum Laude and earning the Economics Department’s Outstanding Senior in Economics award.
Outside work, Mr. Sullivan spends his time with his wife, two children and energetic Labrador. He also enjoys reading books, watching movies and amateur carpentry.
- Named an Emerging Lawyer by Leading Lawyers (The distinction of being named an “Emerging Lawyer” is reserved for the top 2% of Illinois lawyers who are 40 years old or younger and have been identified by their peers as proving themselves to be professional, ethical and experienced at an early point in their legal career.), 2019-2021
- Herzog Moot Court Competition, Second Place Finalist, Summer 2011
Articles & Publications
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education1.18.19
- DCBA Brief - The Journal of The DuPage County Bar Association , December 2017
- Placebo Effect: How Illinois’ COVID Tort Immunity Fails to Immunize Medical Professionals and the Healthcare Industry4.19.21
- PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY CLIENT ALERT: Opioid Litigation - The Practitioner's Guide to Managing the FDA's 2019 Roadmap4.1.19
- PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY CLIENT ALERT: Medical Professionals and Opioid Lawsuits: Protecting Against the Coming Storm6.29.18
- PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY CLIENT ALERT: The Medical Studies Act: What Happens in Peer Review Does Not Always Stay in Peer Review4.5.18
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Medical & Dental Malpractice
- Medical Negligence & Healthcare Liability Litigation
- Nursing Homes, Long-Term Care & Assisted Living Facilities Liability
- Pharmaceutical & Medical Device Litigation
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Technology & Cyber Risk
- Toxic Tort / Hazardous Substances
The John Marshall Law School, J.D., 2013
Bradley University, B.S., Political Science and Economics, 2010
- Illinois, 2013
- Wisconsin, 2019
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin, 2016