Paul Motz is a shareholder in the firm’s Chicago office where he focuses his practice on tort and insurance coverage disputes across the country. His extensive experience includes large-scale matters involving products liability, catastrophic personal injury, medical malpractice, professional negligence, transportation, toxic tort and construction defect.
Mr. Motz has aggressively litigated and tried cases across the country, starting each matter with a goal of developing the story that the defense will tell. Through this process he determines how a case can best be tried, its strengths and weaknesses and how to exploit or defend each. He backs this strategy with an intense focus on witness preparation, which is where he believes cases are won or lost. This hard-hitting, trial-centered litigation approach allows for his clients to resolve matters favorably if the opportunity arises or if not, provides assurance that the trial team will be completely prepared to argue both liability and damages in front of a judge or jury.
Because of his skills as a trial attorney, clients facing exposure of more than $10 million regularly select him to play the role of the opposing party in mock trials to test and improve the client’s case that will be presented at trial. He is also a frequent speaker on trial strategy and litigation tactics.
Prior to joining Segal McCambridge, Mr. Motz was managing partner at a Midwest litigation defense firm where he successfully tried many high-exposure cases for clients across the country. He also served as an associate at a firm where he practiced civil litigation defense.
Mr. Motz earned his J.D. from DePaul University College of Law. He holds a bachelor’s degree in political science and communication from DePaul University.
Outside of his work in the legal arena, Mr. Motz spends time with his wife and son while spending his free time by golfing, reading, traveling and supporting Chicago sports teams.
- Named an Emerging Lawyer by Leading Lawyers (The distinction of being named an “Emerging Lawyer” is reserved for the top 2% of Illinois lawyers who are 40 years old or younger and have been identified by their peers as proving themselves to be professional, ethical and experienced at an early point in their legal career). 2016-2020
- Selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (no more than 2.5% of lawyers in the state under the age of 40 are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community. 2016-2020
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Professional Liability Underwriters Society (PLUS)
- Chicago Bar Association
- Dempe v. Lindroth, Catastrophic Personal Injury. Defense verdict after five week trial where Plaintiff asked the jury for $57 million.
- Counts v. LB Rose Ranch, Construction Defect, Verdict awarded damages less than pre-existing setoff.
- Busch Properties, Inc. v. National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, PA., Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith litigation arising out of mold litigation, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit affirmed dismissal finding no legal obligation to pay.
- Douglas v. Arlington Park and Churchill Downs, Catastrophic Personal Injury/Products Liability. Defense verdict after four week trial where Plaintiff asked the jury for $30 million. The jury deliberated for only eighty minutes in reaching this verdict. This verdict was later confirmed by the appellate court.
- Invited Speaker, Association of Southern California Defense Counsel, October 2018
- The Reverse Reptile: Turning the Tables on Plaintiff’s Counsel, DRI, April 2019 and July 2019
- Preventing Amygdala Hijack at Deposition in the Reptilian Era, DRI, January 2020
- Trends in Settlement and Verdict Value, Perrin Conferences, September 2020
Articles & Publications
- The Litigation Psychology Podcast #51 - Attorney Demeanor with Trial Attorneys Paul Motz and Matthew MoffettCourtroom Sciences Inc, 1.12.21
- Law360, 12.17.20
- The Reverse Reptile: Turning the Tables on Plaintiff’s Counsel, P. Motz, B. Kanasky and M. Loberg, For the Defense, December 2018
DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 2007
DePaul University, B.A., Political Science and Communication, 2004
- Illinois, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (General and Trial Bar), 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, 2018
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois, 2019
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, 2014
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 2020
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2014