Peter Strelitz is a shareholder and an experienced trial lawyer who regularly handles a wide variety of complex litigation in Texas and throughout the country. Mr. Strelitz has served as both national counsel and lead Texas counsel for medical device companies, large corporations, product manufacturers, premises owners, healthcare agencies, facilities, physicians, and transportation companies. He also advises companies and handles matters related to cyber risk, technology claims and media risk. Mr. Strelitz works with small and large businesses, start up companies and advertising agencies regarding a variety of issues including employment practices, contracts and litigation avoidance practices.
Mr. Strelitz is experienced in defending companies in class actions in federal court. As national trial counsel for companies involved in medical device product liability litigation, he has defended cases throughout the country in both state and federal courts.
In addition, Mr. Strelitz has defended a wide array of professional lines, including brokers, agents, architects and inspectors. He serves as lead trial counsel in catastrophic injury transportation cases for various clients and is often called to investigate motor vehicle accident after they occur and prior to litigation. Mr. Strelitz has led trial counsel teams for multiple clients, among them large Fortune 100 companies, family owned businesses and individual business owners. He has negotiated hundreds of favorable settlements for these clients.
Mr. Strelitz also devotes significant time to advising clients on employment issues. Companies turn to Mr. Strelitz to draft employment handbooks and contracts, enforce sound employment practices and defend them when employment-related litigation arises. He has taken employment lawsuits to verdict defending companies, individuals, universities and state agencies. Notably, he defended the office of the Texas governor and testified before the Texas House of Representatives in defense of state health care programs litigated in federal court.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- Groundwork Music Project, Treasurer and Member of Board of Directors
- Young Texans Against Cancer (YTAC), Founding Member
- Retained to represent technology review company as lead defense counsel in Federal Court litigation alleging defamation, misrepresentation and Lanham Act violations.
- Successfully resolved class actions related to the Fair and Accurate Credit Reporting Act (FACTA).
- Serving as lead trial counsel in multiple catastrophic motor vehicle accident cases involving significant injuries and fatalities.
- Serving as national trial and coordinating counsel on behalf of post-surgical pain relief medical device manufacturer in industry-wide litigation.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement for real estate broker and home owner in catastrophic foundation damage matter.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement for a large S-Corporation sued for minority shareholder oppression related to oil and gas leases in the Eagleford Shale projected to produce over $400 million worth of oil and gas royalties. Mr. Strelitz was the lead lawyer in the mediation, which involved over 30 parties and 10 lawyers.
- Appointed as lead trial counsel for a client sued for gross negligence in a case in which an apartment stairway collapsed, resulting in multiple injuries and a fatality.
- Successfully obtained temporary and permanent injunctions for a client whose business suffered significantly after terminated employees waged a campaign of harassing phone calls and defamatory web postings.
- Skillfully argued motions to obtain dismissal of a punitive damages claim and the exclusion of one of plaintiff's two expert witnesses in a trial set case pending in Arizona Federal Court. Mr. Strelitz then successfully resolved the case shortly after the rulings and days prior to trial.
- Defended State of Texas health care programs for underprivileged children in federal court.
- Successfully argued summary judgment motions dismissing over 100 claims on behalf of all defendants in toxic exposure case pending in state court.
- Obtained defense verdict for state university and board of directors in race/gender discrimination lawsuit in federal court.
- Obtained defense verdict as lead trial counsel for state mental health agency in gender discrimination law suit litigated in state court.
Published Appellate Opinions
Wortham v. Dow Chemical Co., 179 S.W.3d 189 (Tex. App. - Houston [14 Dist.] 2005)
Boswell v. Honorable Governor of Texas, 138 F. Supp.2d 782 (N.D. Texas, 2000)
Immigration Law and Employer Compliance: What Every Business Should Know to Protect Itself in the New Era of Enforcement Seminar, Austin, TX (December 11, 2008).
Articles & Publications
- Chapter by Segal McCambridge Attorneys Peter Strelitz and James Morrison from New Immigration Law Text Now Available Online6.9.10
"State-of-the-Art and State Farm v. Campbell - Application Beyond Exemplary Damages," HarrisMartin's COLUMNS Asbestos (September 2006).
Chapter, "Immigration Compliance Requirements and Challenges," of "Inside the Minds: Employing International Workers" (West Thomson/Aspatore Books, 2010).
"Supreme Court Update: Court Recognizes Additional Bases for Retaliation Claims, Rejects Age Discrimination Challenge for Retirement Plan," Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Employment Law Newsletter, Volume 3, Issue 3 (Summer 2008).
"Employment-At-Will: Has The Death Knell Officially Sounded?" Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Employment Law Newsletter, Volume 2, Issue 3 (Fall 2007), reprinted in HR Advisor (May/June 2008) and International HR Journal (Summer 2008).
"Supreme Court to Review Six Employment-Related Cases," Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Employment Law Newsletter, Volume 3, Issue 1 (Winter 2008).
"Do Vehicle Lessees Qualify as Consumers Under the Magnuson-Moss Act?," Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney 2005 Lemon Law/Warranty Seminar Reference Materials CD (October 2005).
"Asbestos Bankruptcy Trusts and Tort Compensation," by Lloyd Dixon and Geoffrey McGovern, RAND Corporation (2011).
University of Texas at Austin, B.A., 1994, Plan II Honors
University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 1997
- Texas, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals