R Delacy Peters, Jr. is Of Counsel in Segal McCambridge's Chicago office. With almost 30 years of experience defending and counseling clients in complex commercial matters, Mr. Peters is equally skilled in both the litigation and the transactional sides of the matters for which he has been retained. A business litigator with a focus on complex commercial litigation, Mr. Peters believes in understanding his clients' businesses as his first priority. In addition to companies large and small, his clients include Fortune 100 corporations and federal, state and local governmental entities.
Mr. Peters' practice focuses extensively in the area of Food and Beverage Law where he is able to uniquely represent clients in actions that require both litigation and/or transactional needs, including food safety litigation, regulatory compliance requirements, employment and real estate issues. He has represented global food and beverage companies, as well as food processors, manufacturers, suppliers, growers and producers, retailers, restaurants, warehouse clubs, wholesalers and distributors.
Throughout his career, Mr. Peters has represented clients in complex litigation matters involving antitrust and trade regulation, fraud and deceptive practices, insurance coverage, securities law violations, professional liability claims, products liability, catastrophic injury, commercial contract disputes, franchise and dealership law, toxic tort and environmental law, entertainment law, intellectual property and class action defense. With a background in the financial services industry, Mr. Peters has also represented municipal clients in litigation matters and public finance. He has represented lenders, lessors, trustees, creditors and creditor's committees in enforcement of security interest actions and in actions which required obtaining relief from stays, participation in reorganization plans and related bankruptcy court litigation.
Over the course of his career, Mr. Peters has been heavily involved as a board member holding positions in numerous legal and non-legal clubs and associations. He has also held the role of general counsel for both the National Bar Association and the 100 Black Men of Chicago. Mr. Peters obtained his J.D. from the University of Baltimore School of Law and attended IIT Chicago Kent College of Law where he completed studies toward his L.L.M. in Financial Services Law. He received his B.S. from the University of Baltimore. He also studied as a chef at Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts.
- Illinois Super Lawyers (2005-Present)
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow (2009-Present)
- National Black Lawyers, Named Top 100 (2016)
- Illinois Leading Lawyer, Commercial Litigation (2008-2012)
Professional & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- National Bar Association, Member (1989- Present); General Counsel (2007-2008); Position holder (2000-2011), Chair, Minority Partners in Majority Law Firms Division, Former Affiliate Chapter President (Cook County Bar Association), National Affiliate Chapter President Liaison to the Board of Governors, Regional Director (Region VII-Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin), Nominations Committee Member (Region VII) General Counsel to the National Organization, Chair-Division of Minority Partners in Majority Firms, Board of Governors
- Jackson Park Golf Association, Board Member (Present)
- Jackson Park Yacht Club, Board Member (Present)
- Chicago United, Leaders Council Member (2012-Present)
- 100 Black Men of Chicago, General Counsel, Member (2004-Present)
- The Lawyers Club of Chicago- President (2011-2012), Vice President (2010-2011), Secretary/Treasurer (2009-2010), Member of the Board of Directors (2008-2009)
- Equal Justice Works (2005-2006)
- Illinois Task Force on Judicial Elections (2002)
- Cook County Bar Association, President (2000)
- Legal Assistance Foundation of Chicago- Board Member (1999-2003)
- Chicago Bar Association
- Business Torts
- Class Action
- Class Action Litigation
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Discrimination, Harassment & Hostile Workplace Claims
- Employment Litigation & Counseling
- Food Liability
- Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Toxic Tort / Hazardous Substances
- Warranty, Extended Warranty, Service Contract Litigation & Consulting
- Workers' Compensation
University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D.
University of Baltimore, B.S.
Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts, Chef
Food Service Safety and Sanitation, Certified Professional Food Manager
- Federal Trial Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois