R Delacy Peters, Jr. is Co-Chair of Segal McCambridge's Food & Beverage Practice Group. With almost 30 years of experience defending and counseling clients in complex commercial matters, Mr. Peters is equally skilled in both litigation and transactional matters. A business litigator with a focus on complex commercial litigation, Mr. Peters believes in understanding his clients' businesses as his first priority. In litigation and transactions, Mr. Peters focuses on detail and covers every aspect of the matter. His clients include Fortune 100 corporations, and middle market companies as well as federal, state and local governmental entities.
Mr. Peters' practice focuses extensively in the area of Food and Beverage Law where he is able to uniquely represent clients in actions that require both litigation and/or transactional needs, including food safety litigation, regulatory compliance requirements, employment and real estate issues. He has represented global food and beverage companies, as well as food processors, manufacturers, suppliers, growers and producers, retailers, restaurants, warehouse clubs, wholesalers and distributors. On behalf of clients, Mr. Peters has worked with regulators such as the FDA, USDA and EPA as well as other federal, state and socal agencies.
Throughout his career, Mr. Peters has represented clients in complex litigation matters involving antitrust and trade regulation, fraud and deceptive practices, insurance coverage, securities law violations, professional liability claims, products liability, catastrophic injury, commercial contract disputes, franchise and dealership law, toxic tort and environmental law, entertainment law, intellectual property and class action defense. Mr. Peters has also represented municipal clients in litigation matters and public finance.
Over the course of his career, Mr. Peters has been heavily involved as a board member holding positions in numerous legal and non-legal clubs and associations. He is currently serving as the Food Safety SLG Publications Chair for the DRI Retail and Hospitality Committee. Mr. Peters has also held the role of general counsel for both the National Bar Association and the 100 Black Men of Chicago. Further, he has served as outside general counsel for several clients. Mr. Peters obtained his J.D. from the University of Baltimore School of Law and attended IIT Chicago Kent College of Law where he completed studies toward his L.L.M. in Financial Services Law. He received his B.S. in Finance from the University of Baltimore. He also is a Le Cordon Bleu trained chef.
- Illinois Super Lawyers (2005-Present)
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow (2009-Present)
- National Black Lawyers, Named Top 100 (2016)
- Illinois Leading Lawyer, Commercial Litigation (2008-2012)
Professional & Civic Involvement
- DRI Retail and Hospitality Committee, Food Safety SLG Publications Chair (2019 - present)
- American Bar Association
- National Bar Association, Member (1989- Present); General Counsel (2007-2008); Position holder (2000-2011), Chair, Minority Partners in Majority Law Firms Division, Former Affiliate Chapter President (Cook County Bar Association), National Affiliate Chapter President Liaison to the Board of Governors, Regional Director (Region VII-Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin), Nominations Committee Member (Region VII) General Counsel to the National Organization, Chair-Division of Minority Partners in Majority Firms, Board of Governors
- Jackson Park Golf Association, Board Member (Present)
- Jackson Park Yacht Club, Board Member (Present)
- Chicago United, Leaders Council Member (2012-Present)
- 100 Black Men of Chicago, General Counsel, Member (2004-Present)
- The Lawyers Club of Chicago- President (2011-2012), Vice President (2010-2011), Secretary/Treasurer (2009-2010), Member of the Board of Directors (2008-2009)
- Equal Justice Works (2005-2006)
- Illinois Task Force on Judicial Elections (2002)
- Cook County Bar Association, President (2000)
- Legal Assistance Foundation of Chicago- Board Member (1999-2003)
- Chicago Bar Association
- Omni Chicago Hotel, Chicago, IL, 10.16.18
- Business Torts
- Class Action
- Discrimination, Harassment & Hostile Workplace Claims
- Employment Litigation & Counseling
- Food & Beverage
- Food Liability
- Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Toxic Tort / Hazardous Substances
- Warranty, Extended Warranty, Service Contract Litigation & Consulting
University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D.
University of Baltimore, B.S.
Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts, Chef
- Federal Trial Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois