Rachel Laurel is an associate attorney in the firm’s New York office focusing her practice on work on a large variety of cases including cyber risk and security, complex commercial litigation, labor and employment, intellectual property, product liability and toxic tort litigation. She has experience working through various stages of litigation, including drafting pleadings, discovery requests and responses, briefs and dispositive motions, taking depositions and preparing for trial.
Prior to joining Segal McCambridge as an associate, Ms. Laurel worked as a summer associate and law clerk at the firm. She has additional experience working for the City of Chicago as a law clerk in the Collections, Ownership and Administrative Litigation Division.
Ms. Laurel received her Juris Doctor from Indiana University Maurer School of Law. While there, she served as Managing Editor of the Indiana Law Journal, and was a member of the Women's Law Caucus, Intellectual Property Association, and Student Bar Association. As the Champion of Maurer's Trial Competition, she went on to compete for Maurer's Trial Team, finishing as a regional finalist in the American Association for Justice Regional Competition.
Before attending law school, she received a Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice and Psychology with a minor in Law & Public Policy from Indiana University. She is currently licensed to practice in the State of Illinois.
- Order of the Barristers, 2018
- Sherman Minton Moot Court Board, 2017-2018
- Finalist, American Association for Justice Mock Trial Competition, 2018
Professional & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Defense Research Institute
"Article III: Standing in Cyber-Breach Litigation," American Bar Association, The Brief, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Summer 2019
- CYBER RISK CLIENT ALERT: Facebook Settles Its BIPA Suit for $550 Million While Damage and Jurisdiction Issues Remain2.24.20
Indiana University Maurer School of Law, J.D., 2018
Indiana University, B.A., Criminal Justice and Psychology, 2015
- Illinois, 2018
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2018
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois, 2019
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 2020