A seasoned trial lawyer with more than two decades of experience, Mr. Hart litigates a wide variety of civil matters including personal injury, products liability, toxic tort, environmental, automotive, and transportation cases. He also has a record of success representing both defendants and plaintiffs, from Fortune 500 companies, medium, and small businesses to individuals, in class action cases. Most recently, Mr. Hart obtained a $100 million-plus settlement for a class of farmers and small businesses in an antitrust class action suit in the Northern District Federal Court in Chicago. Mr. Hart received a 2013 Jury Verdict Reporter Trial Excellence Award for his work on this case, the highest reported Illinois verdict/settlement in 2013.
Mr. Hart has tried cases to successful jury verdict throughout the country and has argued before State and Federal courts of appeal. His practice includes State and Federal trial work in construction and premises liability actions. It was Mr. Hart's work in the latter arena that led Kohl's to nominate Segal McCambridge as a Go-To Litigation Law Firm in American Lawyer's 2012 survey. Mr. Hart also represents corporations and individuals in employment-related matters.
Mr. Hart serves as National Coordinating and Trial Counsel for several Fortune 500 companies in asbestos and environmental litigation. He is National Coordinating and Trial counsel for DHL transportation litigation. He has tried cases in Illinois, New York, Texas, Indiana, California, and Wisconsin for manufacturers and premises owners. He has developed extensive experience in epidemiology, medical causation, industrial hygiene, accident reconstruction, and biomechanics.
Mr. Hart is a published legal author and frequent lecturer. His writings have been published by the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, including "Using Expert Witnesses: Principles and Pitfalls."
Mr. Hart is an adjunct professor in trial advocacy at Chicago-Kent College of Law. Numerous bar associations and legal organizations have asked him to speak at distinguished events.
A resident of Chicago, Illinois, Mr. Hart is married to Jill Hart, and together they have daughters, Sydney and Samantha, and son, Miles.
- Recipient of the Illinois Jury Verdict Reporter's 2013 Trial Lawyer Excellence Award for the Highest Reported Illinois Verdict or Settlement During the Past Year
- Received honorable mention for Outstanding Antitrust Litigation Achievement in Private Law Practice at American Antitrust Institute’s 2013 Antitrust Enforcement Awards
- Recognized as an Illinois Leading Lawyer (a designation limited to less than 5% of all lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community
- Selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers list (no more than 5% of lawyers in the state are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2005, 2006, 2009-2011)
Professional & Civic Involvement
- American Association For Justice
- Chicago Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Risk and Insurance Management Society, Inc. (RIMS)
- RIMS Chicago Chapter 009
- Achieved $100 million-plus settlement on behalf of U.S. farmers and small businesses in a complex antitrust class action case against seven of the world's largest potash producers and distributors.
- Successfully defended Kohl's Department Stores in a premises liability personal injury case argued in the U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit. Click here for audio of oral argument.
- Nominated as a "Go-To" litigator by his Fortune 150 client.
- Serves as National Coordinating Counsel for DHL's independent contractor cases.
- Executive Committee, Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney.
- Chairman of Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Toxic Tort Practice Group.
- Recently spoke at April 21 & 22 APA/ABA Program, "Psychological and Neuropsychological Evidence in Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Cases - Litigating a Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Case," held in Chicago, IL.
- Recently spoke at the Sterling Education Water Intrusion and Mold Claims Seminar and was acknowledged by attendees as being, ". . . passionate and an excellent speaker. Can picture him as an extremely effective trial attorney."
- Selected National Trial and Coordinating Counsel for Fortune 500 company.
- Tried multi-million dollar cases in Illinois, Texas, New York, California, Wisconsin, and Indiana.
Published Appellate Opinions
Reid v. Kohl's, United Sates Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (2008, WL4216473 C.A.7(Ill))
Pullia v. Builders Square, Inc., 265 Ill.App.3d 933, 638 N.E.2d 688, 202 Ill.Dec. 820 (1st Dist, 1994)
- Asbestos Litigation Conference Co-Chair Tim Krippner Featured in The Madison-St. Clair Record and Chicago Daily Law Bulletin3.22.13
- Segal McCambridge Shareholders Steven Hart and Brian Eldridge Obtain $3.25 Million Settlement with City of Chicago in Maya Hirsch Case7.25.12
- Four Segal McCambridge Shareholders To Speak at Perrin's Asbestos Litigation Conference in September6.30.09
- Segal McCambridge Shareholders Steven Hart and Catherine Goldhaber To Speak at Perrin Asbestos Litigation Conference6.7.11
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Catherine Goldhaber Added to Line-Up at Perrin Conferences' Asbestos Litigation Conference8.16.10
- Segal McCambridge Shareholders Steven Hart and Jason Kennedy to Speak at Perrin Conferences' Asbestos Litigation Conference7.1.10
Perrin Conferences’ 2013 Cutting-Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation Conference, Beverly Hills, CA, "The Emerging Lung Cancer Case: An Analysis of Surging Filing Trends, Asbestos Trust Issues, and the Modern Causation Case" (March 18, 2013).
National Forum for Environmental and Toxic Tort Issues (FETTI), "Asbestos Update," Chicago, IL (September 26, 2012).
Perrin Conferences' Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview & Outlook, "The Philadelphia and Madison County Courts - How Recent Changes to those Asbestos Dockets May Reshape the Litigation," San Francisco, CA (September 10, 2012).
Perrin Conferences' Litigating Asbestos Cases in Today's Economic Environment, "The Economics of Resolving Asbestos Cases in Today's Climate," New York, NY (December 1, 2011).
Perrin Conferences' 2011 Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview and Outlook, panelist, "Jurisdictional Update: Illinois, California & Emerging Jurisdictions," San Francisco, CA (September 19, 2011).
Perrin Conferences' Asbestos Bankruptcy Conference, panelist, "Using a 468B QSF to Facilitate a Settlement," Chicago, IL (June 20, 2011).
Perrin Conferences' Cutting-Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation, moderator, "Managing Insurer & Policyholder Relationships in 2011 Asbestos Litigation," Beverly Hills, CA (March 3-4, 2011).
Perrin Conferences' Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview and Outlook, "Asbestos Cases in 2010: National Trends Driving the Litigation" (September 13-15, 2010).
Perrin Conferences' Asbestos Litigation Conference: A Comprehensive National Overview and Outlook, "Overview of Active and Emerging Jurisdictions; Current Status of the MDL; Legislative Update" (September 14-16, 2009).
Co-Chairman and Speaker, Mealey's Lead Litigation Conference, Orlando, FL (April 3-4, 2008).
Mealey's MTBE Litigation Conference, Santa Monica, CA, "MTBE & Public Nuisance - Is This The Future Of MTBE Litigation?" (June 4, 2007).
Co-Chairman and Speaker, Mealey's Lead Litigation Conference, Chicago, IL, "The Thomas Suit: Risk Contribution & Market Share Liability" (April 19-20, 2007).
Mealey's Teleconference: Lead Litigation Update, "Rhode Island, California & Ohio - Are More Suits On The Horizon?" (November 2006).
Mealey's Lead Litigation Conference, Washington, DC, "Theories of Market Share Liability, Public Nuisance and Civil Conspiracy" (December 2005).
American Bar Association National Institute, Chicago, IL, "Psychological and Neuropsychological Evidence in Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Cases - Litigating a Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Case" (April 2005).
Guest Lecturer, Chicago Kent Law School, Trial Advocacy "Jury Selection" (April 2005).
Defense Research Institute-National Asbestos Medicine Conference, San Diego, CA, "Premises Liability" (November 2004).
Panel Counsel Conference-Transportation Law section, "Fleet-Optimization and Transportation Liability" (March 2004).
Chicago Bar Association Seminar: Trial Advocacy, "Winning Opening Statements and Closing Arguments" (May 2003).
Mealey's Asbestos Premises Liability Conference, Philadelphia, PA (February 2003).
2013 Asbestos Defense Strategic Summit (co-chair, speaker and author), New Orleans, LA (November 6, 2013).
2012 Asbestos Defense Strategic Summit (co-chair, speaker and author), Miami Beach, FL (November 7, 2012).
Perrin Conferences' 2011 Asbestos Defense Strategic Summit (co-chair, speaker and author), Las Vegas, NV (November 9, 2011).
American Conference Institute's 11th Annual Advanced Forum on Litigating & Managing Asbestos Claims, "What the 'Year in Asbestos Litigation' Means for You, Your Client, and Your Company," Philadelphia, PA (May 18, 2010).
FETTI Sixteenth Annual Conference, "Lipke to Nolan - Taking Off the Blinders" (October 1-2, 2009).
Perrin Conference/Asbestos Litigation, "Comprehensive National Overview and Outlook," San Francisco, CA (September 14-16, 2009).
American Conference Institute's 10th National Advanced Forum on Litigating and Managing Asbestos Claims, Philadelphia, PA, "Forum Selection, the Migration of Asbestos-Related Claims Into Newer Jurisdictions, and the Continuing Impact of Tort Reform in Key Jurisdictions" (June 23-24, 2009).
New York State Trial Lawyers Institute, Spring 2009 Continuing Legal Education Courses, Mass Tort Seminar, "How to Find, Understand, and Litigate Mass Torts," New York, NY (May 7, 2009).
American Conference Institute's Defending and Managing Automotive Product Liability Conference, Chicago, IL, "Asbestos Friction Claims: Preparing for New Theories of Liability, Challenging Causation Experts, and Defending Cases Built on Junk Science" (October 30, 2008).
Chicago Bar Association, YLS Tort Litigation Committee Seminar, Chicago, IL, "Expert Discovery - Procedural Requirements, Practical Considerations" (October 2, 2008).
Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE), Civil Litigation Update Series, Chicago, IL, "Legal and Trial Considerations for Presenting the Third Party Case" (February 12, 2008).
Mealey's Global Reinsurance Forum, Bermuda, "Sources of Exposure" (November 14-15, 2007).
Mealey's National Asbestos Litigation Conference, The Ritz-Carlton Hotel, Boston, MA, "How To Effectively Try Or Settle An Asbestos Case In 2006-2007" (September 18-19, 2006).
Mealey's Lead Litigation Conference, Boston, MA, "Market Share Liability, Public Nuisance and Civil Conspiracy In Lead Paint/Pigment Litigation" (June 5-6, 2006).
Mealey's Lead Litigation Conference, Washington, DC, "Emerging Theories in Lead Litigation" (December 2005).
Sterling Education Services Seminar: Water Intrusion and Toxic Mold Claims in Illinois- Defending Mold Claim (June 2004).
Select counsel meeting - Delray Beach, FL , "Transportation and Logistic Issues" (March 2004).
Mealey's Asbestos Premises Liability Conference, San Francisco, CA (December 2003).
Chicago Bar Association Seminar: Trial Advocacy, "Persuasion Through Use of Exhibits at Trial" (February 2003).
Chicago Bar Association Seminar: Trial Advocacy, "Discovery Strategies and Methods for Getting What You Want" (September 2002).
Chicago Bar Association Seminar: Trial Advocacy, "Winning Your Case Before Discovery" (February 2002).
Articles & Publications
"Chapter 11: Motions, Requests, and Notices in Preparation for Trial," Illinois Civil Practice: Preparing For Trial, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) (2012).
"Motions, Requests, and Notices in Preparation for Trial," Illinois Civil Practice, Volume II: Preparing For Trial, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) (2009).
"Notice Requirements of Insured to Excess Insurance Carrier," New York Law Journal, Volume 237, Number 54 (March 21, 2007).
"Illinois Supreme Court Finds Cingular Class Action Waiver Unconscionable," AAJ Business Tort Journal (Winter 2007).
"More Interesting Than Watching The Paint Dry: Emerging Trends In Lead Paint Litigation," Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Toxic Tort Newsletter, Volume 6, Issue 1 (Winter 2007) and Mealey's Litigation Report: Lead, Volume 16, Number 3 (January 2007).
"Motions, Requests, and Notices in Preparation for Trial," Illinois Civil Practice Volume II: Preparing For Trial, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) (2005).
"Using Expert Witnesses," Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) (1994).
"Asbestos Bankruptcy Trusts and Tort Compensation," by Lloyd Dixon and Geoffrey McGovern, RAND Corporation (2011).
- Automotive & Transport
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation & Counseling
- Employment Litigation & Counseling
- Insurance & Reinsurance Litigation & Counseling
- Medical & Dental Malpractice
- Medical Devices
- Medical Negligence & Healthcare Liability Litigation
- Nursing Homes, Long-Term Care & Assisted Living Facilities Liability
- Power Tools & Machinery
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Toxic Tort / Hazardous Substances
- Welding Rod
University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A. (Political Science), 1989
John Marshall Law School, J.D., 1992
- Illinois, 1992
- New York, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1992
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois, 2011