Will Irwin is a skilled litigator who has experience with a wide variety of civil matters, and a particular focus on products and premises liability claims associated with the use of asbestos. As part of a national coordinating counsel team for a large industrial products company, Mr. Irwin oversees asbestos litigation in some of the country's most active and dangerous jurisdictions, including New York, Louisiana, Missouri, Illinois, and Michigan, analyzing and executing client strategy with a long term perspective. As local and regional trial counsel in Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin and Indiana for numerous companies embroiled in litigation over the use of asbestos in their products and on their premises, Mr. Irwin handles day-to-day aspects of large-liability wrongful-death and terminal illness claims, including fact and expert depositions, pleadings and motion practice, settlement negotiations, and trial.
In January 2016, Mr. Irwin served as second chair trial counsel in an asbestos products-liability action tried to verdict in St. Louis, Missouri against one of the leading boutique mesothelioma plaintiff firms in the country. Mr. Irwin successfully executed a strategy of applying foreign law instead of Missouri law, which allowed the jury to allocate 95% of the fault for the plaintiff's injuries to non-parties. This strategy resulted in a verdict that represented a savings of more than $4.75 million from the plaintiff's final settlement demand and savings of more than $12.75 million from the amount of damages requested at trial.
From 2009 through 2011, Mr. Irwin served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Donald J. Stohr in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. In that role, Mr. Irwin gained invaluable insight into the judicial decision-making process that continues to inform his case strategy and to enhance his ability to achieve positive results for his clients.
- Named an Emerging Lawyer by Leading Lawyers (The distinction of being named an “Emerging Lawyer” is reserved for the top 2% of Illinois lawyers who are 40 years old or younger and have been identified by their peers as proving themselves to be professional, ethical and experienced at an early point in their legal career.) (2017-2018)
- Selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (no more than 2.5% of lawyers in the state under the age of 40 are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2016-2018)
- Washington University Law Review, Executive Editor
- CALI Award for Excellence in Civil Procedure
- Phi Beta Kappa
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Defense Research Institute
Articles & Publications
- Hon. Donald J. Stohr, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri (2009-2011)
Washington University, J.D. (2007)
Illinois Wesleyan University, B.A., Biology and Economics, magna cum laude (2004)
- Illinois, 2007
- Missouri, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 2014
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri, 2008
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, 2009
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2011
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois, 2011
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, 2014
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, 2014
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2011