Showing 4 posts in Warranty.
The Uniform Commercial Code May Not Be So Uniform After All: Looking to the U.C.C. as a Defense to Class Certification
The Uniform Commercial Code (U.C.C.). You know the one. That sectioned charter originally enacted with the goal of unifying the laws governing sales and commercial transactions across all 50 states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. territories? The one that provides recommendations to the states as to the laws that each particular state should adopt? It turns out that –even for all of the states that have adopted the UCC--the “uniform” part of the Code’s title might just be a misnomer . . . and one that might actually provide a defense to businesses defending against class certification. More »
“Can a home warranty fast track the sale of your home.” A recent article in the Lodi (CA) News-Sentinel under the headline: Some buyers see great value in home warranties. It’s refreshing to see an article associating a home warranty with value. Too often, home warranties, extended warranties and service contracts are portrayed — inaccurately — as a waste of money. More »
Proponents of the “Reptile Theory” claim it has produced $6 billion in jury verdicts and settlements for plaintiff’s in personal injury litigation since 2009. They say it derives from research by neuroscientists into brain organization and function, taps into jurors’ basic survival instinct, and “is revolutionizing the way the trial attorneys approach and win their cases.” While many doubt its scientific basis, defendants who have encountered the theory in litigation do not dispute its effectiveness.
So how to combat the Reptile? More »
- Michigan No-Fault Reform Update
- Missouri Joinder/Venue Reform Bill Heading to Governor for His Signature
- Seventh Circuit Appellate Briefs Filed in Southwest Airlines Biometric Case Involving Collective Bargaining Agreements
- An Examination of the Illinois Insurer-Insured Privilege: What is Protected and What is Discoverable?
- Litigation is Expensive; Consider Mediation Instead.
- Product Liability: Effective Litigation Tools and Techniques
- Driver Fatigue: A Leading Cause of Accidents and Death in the Transportation Industry
- PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY CLIENT ALERT: Opioid Litigation - The Practitioner's Guide to Managing the FDA's 2019 Roadmap
- Attorney Termination of the Attorney-Client Relationship in New York
- New Developments for Michigan Employers
- Professional Liability
- Class Action
- Insurance & Reinsurance Litigation & Counseling
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Coverage
- Cyber Risk & Liability
- Toxic Tort
- Professional Development
- Pharmaceutical & Medical Device Litigation
- Social Media & Privacy
- Employment Litigation & Counseling
- Workers' Compensation
- Construction Litigation & Counseling
- Discrimination, Harassment & Hostile Workplace Claims
- Medical Negligence & Healthcare Liability
- Product Liability