Fostering A Culture of Inclusion & Equality
We are proud of the local and national recognition our diverse attorneys and our diversity and inclusion efforts have received. This includes accolades from Lawyers of Color for our ongoing diversity efforts and above-average minority representation in the firm, resulting in Segal McCambridge being named a top 10 large law firm for our high percentage of African American attorneys.
Our firm also proudly supports many organizations that promote diversity in the legal industry and in society, including DRI’s Diversity for Success programs, Perrin’s Diversity & Inclusion Conference, Centerforce’s Women Diversity & Change Summit, the Black Women Lawyers’ Association and the Cook County Illinois Minority Job Fair.
Members of our Diversity & Inclusion Committee are also regularly recognized for their legal acumen, including Kenneth Williams being named to the Lawyers of Color 2019 Nation’s Best List, Madina Axelrod joining the firm’s Executive Committee in 2019 and Jill Felkins’ recognition as a 2019 Chicago Lawyer Magazine 40 Under Forty.
At Segal McCambridge, diversity and inclusion are critically important. We are committed to a diversified and inclusive workplace that provides opportunities to all our employees regardless of race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, religion or national origin. In order to maintain a strong organization and effectively represent the interests of our clients, who also come from various cultures, backgrounds, lifestyles and belief systems, we endeavor to hire, develop, retain and promote the talent reflecting those differences.
Our diversity and inclusion efforts are therefore focused on:
- Embracing all cultures, ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations.
- Creating a work environment that fosters inclusivity, growth and advancement.
- Contributing to the diverse communities in which we live and work.
- Shepherding our diversity and inclusion objectives, and progress toward achieving them, through the firm’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
Diversity & Inclusion Committee
The Committee helps to ensure that our firm is focused on its diversity and inclusion goals and objectives. In particular, the Committee is involved in: diversity education; recruitment, retention and promotion of qualified attorneys and staff; participation in community activities; attorney professional development and pro bono work; and identification of new opportunities and approaches to promote diversity and inclusion within the firm.
Diversity & Inclusion Committee Members
Kenneth P. Williams, Chair, Detroit
Madina Axelrod, New York
Carmen Y. Cartaya, Ft. Lauderdale
Jill M. Felkins, Chicago
Kerry Lynn Rhoads, Detroit
Cameron D. Turner, Ft. Lauderdale
Carla Varriale-Barker, New York
Nancy S. Woodworth, Chicago
Stephanie B. Burnstein, Detroit
Kristin B. Hopkins, New York
Lina Kaskorkis, Detroit
Nicholas A. Shawver, Detroit
Matt Frederick, New York
- Shareholders Madina Axelrod and Kenneth P. Williams to Share Insights on Increasing Diversity in Law Firms4.26.19
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Kenneth Williams to Serve on Planning Committee for 2019 DRI Diversity for Success SeminarNew Orleans, LA, 1.19.19
- Shareholders Madina Axelrod and Kenneth Williams to Speak at Perrin Diversity & Inclusion ConferenceThe Union League of Philadelphia, 11.1.18
- Segal McCambridge Singer and Mahoney, 7.30.18
- Embassy Suites, Chicago, IL, 7.24.18
- Chicago, IL, 6.15.18
- Segal McCambridge Credits up to 25 Hours Devoted to Pro Bono and/or Diversity and Inclusion Work Towards Billable Hours9.12.18
- Segal McCambridge New York Office Demonstrates Active Participation in Thurgood Marshall Summer Law Internship Program9.12.18
- Segal McCambridge New York Office Hires Legal Interns Through Thurgood Marshall Summer Internship Program7.5.16
- Matt Frederick Named Vice President and Diversity & Inclusion Chair for the Association of Legal Administrators-NYC Chapter4.8.16
- Founding Partner and Firm Co-Chairman, William F. Mahoney, Appointed Chair of the Chicago Committee for Human Rights Watch (HRW)6.10.15
- Segal McCambridge Attorneys Peter J. Strelitz, Arturo M. Aviles, And James E. Morrison To Present Immigration Law And Employer Compliance Seminar10.10.08