Trial attorney Kevin Bugos concentrates his litigation practice in the areas of employment litigation, professional liability and medical malpractice defense. Over the course of his career, Mr. Bugos has successfully tried numerous cases involving catastrophic injury to verdict on behalf of his clients. As primary attorney in his cases, he is responsible for handling all aspects of litigation, including pre-suit investigation, pleadings, fact and expert discovery, trial and appeal.
In the professional liability context, Mr. Bugos has defended a range of professionals including accountants, lawyers, medical providers, architects, engineers and directors and officers. He also represents hospitals, physicians, long-term care facilities and nursing homes facing medical malpractice claims. A seasoned employment litigator, Mr. Bugos has counseled some of the country's largest restaurant, hotel, food store, commercial property and gaming companies in the United States in matters such as discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge and breach of contract. Mr. Bugos is also experienced in defending product liability claims involving medical devices and pharmaceuticals.
Mr. Bugos serves his clients through a litigation philosophy based on thorough fact investigation and early analysis. His investigation skills enable him to achieve cost-effective results that allow clients to evaluate the bottom line of a case in the early stages of litigation. Mr. Bugos' continued record of success led to his inclusion in the 2012 Super Lawyers Rising Stars list as one of the top young attorneys in Illinois. No more than 2.5% of the lawyers in the State of Illinois under the age of 40 are selected to this list.
Mr. Bugos first developed his trial skills as an Assistant State's Attorney in the criminal division of the DuPage County State's Attorney's Office from 1997 through 2001, where he successfully prosecuted serious felony and misdemeanor cases. As a prosecutor, he tried hundreds of bench trials and over 50 jury trials to verdict.
Mr. Bugos volunteers his time at Ronald McDonald House and the Cardinal Joseph Bernardin Catholic Regional Grade School, where he serves on its Board and Long-Range Planning Committee. Mr. Bugos resides in Tinley Park, Illinois with his wife and three children.
- Obtained summary judgment for two physicians in a medical malpractice case after the patient’s musculocutaneous nerve was severed during surgery.
- Achieved dismissal of a national urgent care center in a medical malpractice case alleging wrongful death of a 3-year old child.
- Obtained dismissal of an age discrimination claim against a well-known Chicago restaurant.
- Successfully moved to dismiss a Chicago hospital in a high-profile negligence action for a nurse's alleged assault of a patient.
- Successfully defended a hernia mesh manufacturer in a product liability/medical malpractice claim in Madison County.
- Obtained summary judgment in Federal Court for the Ford Heights Police Department in a case involving a traffic accident with serious personal injury.
- Obtained judgment in favor of a local Chicago hospital defending a premises liability claim in arbitration.
- As trial counsel, received a "not guilty" verdict in a legal malpractice claim involving a dispute over trade secrets.
- Won summary judgment defending a national hotel against a products liability claim involving an allegedly defective pool vent cover.
- Obtained summary judgment for a national cleaning company in a case alleging negligence after an employee allegedly battered a former customer of the company.
University of Notre Dame, B.S. with honors (Political Science), 1994
Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D. (Dean's List five of six semesters), 1997
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, General and Trial Bar
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois, General and Trial Bar
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- “The Standard of Care for a Successful Deposition in a Malpractice Case,” MacNeal Hospital (January 20, 2014).
- “The Standard of Care for a Successful Deposition in a Malpractice Case,” Weiss Memorial Hospital (October 23, 2013).
- “Litigating Spoliation of Evidence Claims in Illinois,” In-house presentation at SMSM, December 10, 2013.
- "Lawsuit Prevention and Paper Documentation," Weiss Memorial Hospital (December 7, 2011).
"Post-Accident Repair and Maintenance of Property Without Spoliation of Evidence," Illinois Municipal League's 98th Annual Conference (September 15-17, 2011).
"Legal Aspects of DUI Enforcement," College of DuPage (2001).
PUBLISHED APPELLATE OPINIONS
People v. Schambow, 305 Ill. App. 3d 763 (2nd Dist. 1999)
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
Board of the Cardinal Joseph Bernardin Catholic Regional School
Chicago Bar Association, member of the Judicial Evaluation Committee
Defense Research Institute
DuPage County Bar Association
Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
Illinois State Bar Association
Long-Term Care Risk Legal Forum
Professional Liability Underwriters Society
Judicial Externship - Honorable Blanche Manning, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (1996-1997)
CALI Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
Special Commendation from the DuPage County State's Attorney's Office for Outstanding Service (2001)
Selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (no more than 5% of lawyers in the state are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2012)