Natacha McClain, a senior associate, focuses her practice on products liability, construction, employment, and general civil litigation matters in both state and federal court. She also has experience in commercial litigation matters with the American Arbitration Association (AAA). Ms. McClain is engaged in all client matters, from pre-suit consulting through defending claims, and she skillfully develops winning case strategies for her many corporate clients. She has led over a hundred fact and expert depositions as well as represented clients at mediation and pre-trial conferences. Ms. McClain's business background and M.B.A. degree directly inform her legal practice. Her business-sense approach to defending and resolving litigation matters minimizes her clients' time and legal expenses.
Ms. McClain is currently Chair of the Chicago Bar Association's Young Lawyers Section (YLS), a position she will hold for one year. With over 9,000 members, the YLS has its own officers, rules, budget, staff, and administrative structure. As YLS Chair, Ms. McClain introduced the 2012-2013 bar year theme, "Get Involved in Your Community," and will launch dozens of member and public service projects throughout the coming year. Ms. McClain is also on the CBA Board of Managers, which approves legislative action taken by the CBA and governs the organization's administrative matters for the entire 22,000-member association.
Ms. McClain is an active pro bono volunteer and oversees Segal McCambridge's Homeless Experience Legal Protection Program (HELP) in the firm's Chicago office, coordinating efforts with the Chicago Coalition for the Homeless. She lives in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago with her husband and two children.
- Currently representing a window manufacturer in a products liability and construction litigation matter in Illinois state court involving dormitories at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
- Achieved summary judgment for an adhesives company in a products liability matter upheld by First District Appellate and Illinois Supreme Courts.
- Victorious AAA award on behalf of an IT consulting company sued for breach of contract, common law fraud, consumer fraud, and punitive damages. Arbitrator dismissed all of the plaintiff's claims and found in favor of the defendant's counterclaim for amounts owed to our client plus interest, which the plaintiff had refused to pay.
- Attained favorable bench decision from Social Security Administration ALJ for pro bono HELP program client to obtain disability benefits.
- Successfully resolved a premises liability action on behalf of a snow plow company at mediation.
- Achieved summary judgment in Wisconsin state court involving an environmental contamination insurance coverage dispute for a commercial general liability policy with absolute pollution exclusion endorsement.
- Secured summary judgment in an Illinois products liability and negligence case representing a print press manufacturer sued by a machinery operator who suffered injury when her arm got caught in the machine, nearly amputating it. Obtained summary judgment based on manufacturer's sale of all assets and liabilities of its subsidiary, which manufactured the machine at issue.
- Obtained summary judgment in an insurance coverage matter involving an underlying multi-million dollar advertising injury.
Lake Forest College, B.A., 2000
Case Western Reserve University, M.B.A., 2004
Case Western Reserve University, J.D., 2004
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2004
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois, 2011
U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2013
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- "Using Our Power to Do Good," CBA Record, "Young Lawyers Journal" section (November 2012).
- "Women in the Legal Profession," CBA Record, "Young Lawyers Journal" section (October 2012).
- "Off and Running," CBA Record, "Young Lawyers Journal" section (September 2012).
- "Get Involved," CBA Record, "Young Lawyers Journal" section (August 2012).
- "CBA Provides Network to Young Lawyers," Chicago Daily Law Bulletin (June 4, 2012).
- "Looking for the Silver Lining," Chicago Daily Law Bulletin (October 19, 2010).
- "The General Contractor - Subcontractor Relationships in Green Construction: The GC's Perspective," Segal McCambridge's LegalBuild (Summer 2009).
- "How To Prepare a Coverage Opinion," Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section Insurance Coverage Meeting (October 13, 2009).
- "Mastering Section 2-615 Motions to Dismiss," presented by The Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section (October 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012).
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division Member (2004 - present), National Outstanding Young Lawyer Award Nominating Committee (2008), Young Lawyers Division Host Committee Fundraising Sub-Committee Chair (2009)
Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Chair (2012-2013), Vice Chair (2010-2012), Project Officer (2009-2010), Treasurer (2008-2009), Director (2007-2008), Special Projects Coordinator (2006-2007)
Chicago Bar Foundation, Young Professionals Board (2008 - present), Fall Benefit Auction Chair (2009)
Chicago Council on Global Affairs (2001 - 2010)
Lake Forest College Mock Trial Assistant Coach (2005 - 2009)
Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Rising Star Award Recipient, 2007
Recent News, Articles & Publications
Read the second issue of LegalBuild, our newsletter for