David Yates is the managing shareholder of Segal McCambridge's Michigan office. As national trial and coordinating counsel for several companies for over 15 years, Mr. Yates has developed a cost-effective claims management system to handle hundreds of cases in multistate litigation.
Mr. Yates is an active litigator who has successfully tried dozens of cases in the State and Federal Courts of Michigan and Illinois. Insurers, hospitals, property owners, retailers, national trucking and bus lines, and others retain Mr. Yates to manage complex litigation involving serious injuries. He has substantial experience defending clients in general litigation matters including premises liability, employment, and transportation/trucking. He also counsels clients in aviation, commercial, products liability, and professional liability matters, helping businesses and public entities reduce the impact of litigation. Mr. Yates focuses on creating cost-effective strategies that meet his clients' needs and deliver successful results. Mr. Yates works with insurers, third-party administrators, and in-house counsel to defend and minimize their companies' legal matters, and his diverse practice enables him to represent each client in a wide spectrum of issues that may arise.
Mr. Yates frequently leads in-house client seminars for groups including insurance companies and self-insured companies, providing valuable information on current issues in commercial property, employment, and premises liability as well as transportation and trucking issues. His peers often hire him to represent their clients as a defense arbitrator. Mr. Yates is a member of Segal McCambridge's Governance Committee. In addition to his leadership roles within Segal McCambridge, Mr. Yates actively provides pro bono counsel through organizations such as H.E.L.P. (Homeless Experience Legal Protection) Program and the Oakland County Free Legal Aid Clinic.
- Granted summary disposition in a liquor liability case where an intoxicated, non-permissive user of a motor vehicle severely injured two children.
- Recently obtained summary disposition and an award of costs and fees from a third party for a commercial transportation client on a case with a seven figure demand.
- As national counsel to a commercial property service company, a security services company, and an aviation services company, created a cost-effective claims management system for handling multistate litigation.
- Successfully defended a local university on a whistleblower claim.
- Counsels and defends a charter school system and local manufacturing company on employment matters to help them reduce risk, avoid litigation, and develop results-oriented defense strategies when litigation is unavoidable.
- Obtained summary judgment on a dental malpractice case.
- Negotiated a voluntary dismissal on a construction matter while motion for summary judgment was pending.
- Obtained summary judgment on a recent commercial property premises liability matter.
- Attained favorable resolution on a high exposure product/warranty matter regarding a recalled product that was attracting national media attention.
- Obtained summary judgment on a wrongful death claim for a home healthcare hospital bed provider.
- Achieved summary judgment for a local manufacturing company on a wrongful discharge claim by an employee alleging retaliation.
- Defense verdict on a sexual harassment claim on behalf of a local university.
- Obtained defense verdicts in six recent premises liability trials with an award for clients' attorney fees on three.
University of Michigan, B.A., 1989
Wayne State University, J.D., 1993
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
PUBLISHED APPELLATE OPINIONS
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- CLE Seminar, "The Web We Weave: Confirming and Collecting Deceit Through Social Media," co-presenter (July 19, 2012).
- CLE Seminar, "Digging Deeper: Dissecting Daubert," co-presenter (August 19, 2010).
- Construction Litigation Desk Reference, Michigan chapter, Defense Research Institute's Defense Library Series (February 2010).
- "Growing Resume Inflation Makes Due Diligence in Hiring More Important than Ever," Defense Research Institute's In Transit (Summer 2009).
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
Defense Research Institute
Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
Oakland County Bar Association
Oakland County Free Legal Aid Clinic
State Bar of Michigan
Recent News, Articles & Publications
Economic lulls force corporations to search for savvy methods to