Adam Jagadich concentrates his litigation practice on the defense of companies facing product liability claims. He has considerable experience defending lawsuits involving automotive design and manufacturing defect claims, hazardous and toxic substances, medical devices, and general premises and product liability issues. Mr. Jagadich has served as local counsel for several companies involved in mass tort litigation, including asbestos and benzene exposure claims, and is well-versed in the medical and scientific issues specific to such practice areas.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in favor of client in case involving allegation that plaintiff developed leukemia as a result of his exposure to benzene in defendant's products.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment on behalf of medical device manufacturer on basis that plaintiff's state law tort claims were preempted by federal law, the Medical Device Amendments of 1976, 21 U.S.C § 360k(a).
- Obtained summary judgment in multiple asbestos-related wrongful death lawsuits pending in Illinois.
- Roger Van Fossen v. MidAmerican Energy Company, et al. In a case of first impression in Iowa premises liability law, the Supreme Court of Iowa affirmed summary judgment in favor of two property owners in an alleged household asbestos exposure case involving the spouse of an independent contractor's employee. The Iowa Supreme Court found that the companies owed no duty to warn the family members of independent contractors. The court's decision reaffirms the principle that the primary responsibility for overseeing the safety of a contractor's employees rests with the contractor itself.
- James O'Boyle v. MidAmerican Energy Company, et al. Obtained summary judgment for a property owner in an asbestos exposure case brought by an employee of an independent contractor. This case is the first of its kind in Iowa.
Purdue University, B.A., 2000, Phi Beta Kappa
University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 2003
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
PUBLISHED APPELLATE OPINIONS
Roger Van Fossen v. MidAmerican Energy Company, et al. 777 N.W.2d 689 (Iowa 2009).
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- "Use of Expert Witnesses in Product Liability Cases," Illinois Product Liability Practice (2011 supplement), Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (2011).
- "Declaratory Relief," Illinois Civil Practice: Preparing for Trial (2009 Edition), Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (2009).
Award for Excellence in Legal Writing, Recipient, University of Wisconsin Law School
Selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (no more than 2.5% of lawyers in the state under the age of 40 are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2011, 2013)