Eric P. Conn is a senior associate in Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Detroit office. Mr. Conn primarily concentrates his practice in premises liability, negligence, and products liability. Mr. Conn has successfully defended clients in each of those matters through early resolution, facilitation, mediation, summary judgment, and trial. He also has significant practice experience in commercial litigation, contract negotiation and associated litigation, construction matters, labor and employment discrimination, real estate disclosure, and associated litigation.
Mr. Conn effectively uses discovery that focuses on narrowing the issues and bolstering defenses, resulting in timely and efficient resolutions to claims he handles. Mr. Conn's litigation philosophy focuses on the ability to quickly prepare successful litigation strategies paired with a commitment to attentive and responsive service to clients. Mr. Conn has presented a number of legal updates to clients involving important and relevant changes in areas affecting liability and damages.
Mr. Conn is active in the legal community, having spent time representing pro bono clients through Detroit Legal Aid, the Oakland County Bar Association and HELP - Detroit. Mr. Conn is a member of the Florida Bar Association, including its young lawyers section and the Michigan Defense Trial Lawyers Association and its insurance and indemnity law section.
- Granted summary disposition in a liquor liability case where an intoxicated, non-permissive user of a motor vehicle severely injured two children.
- Awarded relief from $585,000 judgment against firm's client prior to firm's retention, and further obtained a 100% award of all attorney fees and costs, including future attorney fees, eliminating all of client's costs.
- Achieved summary judgment affirmed by the Michigan Supreme Court in a commercial negligence matter for a prominent real property investment and management firm.
- Granted dismissal with prejudice for a leading multi-national transportation company.
- Successfully argued summary judgment in commercial negligence matter seeking significant compensatory damages for personal injuries.
- Secured defense verdict in commercial negligence trial.
- Obtained summary judgment for contractor in commercial litigation matter.
- Convinced trial court to order summary judgment in products liability matter where demand was in excess of $300,000.
- Negotiated favorable result in age discrimination matter brought pursuant to State and Federal law.
- Provided voluntary dismissal for defendant insurance company while a motion for summary judgment was pending.
- Achieved favorable result in products liability and breach of warranty matter with an initial demand in excess of $500,000.
University of Michigan, B.A. (Political Science), 2000
University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, J.D., 2003
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Construction Litigation Desk Reference, Michigan chapter, Defense Research Institute's Defense Library Series (February 2010).
- "Growing Resume Inflation Makes Due Diligence in Hiring More Important than Ever," Defense Research Institute's In Transit (Summer 2009).
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, Update on pending litigation seeking Facebook and other social media records (May 2012).
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division
Howell Downtown Development Authority Vice President
Howell Downtown Design Committee Chair
Howell Renter Board of Appeals Member
Michigan Bar Litigation Section
Michigan Bar Negligence Section
Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
Recognized as a Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Star, nominated and selected by peers in the legal community and awarded to the top 2.5% of lawyers under the age of 40 in Michigan (2009, 2012)
Recent News, Articles & Publications
Economic lulls force corporations to search for savvy methods to