David Yavil is a senior associate in Segal McCambridge's Philadelphia office. Mr. Yavil has extensive experience representing a wide array of clients including product manufacturers, licensed professionals, health systems, premises owners, real estate brokers and agents, insurers and employers in various civil litigation matters including personal injury, premises liability, real estate, medical malpractice and employment. Mr. Yavil has handled all aspects of litigation including depositions, mediations, arbitrations, and trials. Through the Philadelphia VIP program, he frequently represents individuals on a pro bono basis involving all types of tort and contract actions.
Mr. Yavil lives in Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania with his wife, Heather, and two sons, Alexander and Samuel.
- Obtained one of the first dismissals in Pennsylvania for a defendant in a Medical Malpractice action pursuant to Pennsylvania's newly enacted venue law.
- Recently obtained dismissal of a commercial property owner in a trip and fall action involving a claim of prior owner liability in New Jersey.
- Represented Yamaha Motor Corp. involving multiple products liability actions filed in the State and Federal Courts of Pennsylvania.
- Represented large Japanese manufacturer involving products liability claims at a commercial bakery in New Jersey when two employees were injured while operating a conveyor belt.
The Ohio State University, B.A. (Sociology), 1997
Rutgers University School of Law, J.D., 2001
New Jersey, 2001
U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2001
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2005
PUBLISHED APPELLATE OPINIONS
Gray v. Buonopane, 53 A.3d 829 (Pa. Super. Ct. 2012).
Garcia v. Mabine, 67 Pa. D & C 4th 49 (Phila. County 2004) aff'd 875 A. 2d 396 (Pa. Super. Ct. 2005).
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- "Murder is Not a Material Defect in Pennsylvania Real Estate Transactions," The CRES Current, CRES Insurance Services (October 3, 2013).
- "Client Alert: Murder is Not a Material Defect" (February 2013).
- "Client Alert: Court Limits Time for OSHA Violations" (June 2012).
- "Update on Insurance Law for the Healthcare Professional," Commentary on Medical Malpractice Law, Parker McCay (March 2006).
- Contributing Editor, LexisNexis Practice Guide: Pennsylvania Personal Injury Litigation (2012 Edition, LexisNexis Matthew Bender).
- "Understanding Liability: How Home Inspectors Can Protect Themselves," National Association of Home Inspectors Pennsylvania Chapter Meeting, Towamencin, PA (October 15, 2012).
- "Hammer Time in the Triangle: The Tripartite Relationship," The Hartford Financial Products Division, New York City (December 13, 2011).
- "Civil Trial Preparation," New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (June 2007).
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
American Bar Association
Burlington County Bar Association
Camden County Bar Association
Camden/Burlington County Inns of Court, Barrister
Cynwyd Court Condominium Association, Secretary (2001- 2006)
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Volunteer
Patrick Callahan Cancer Fund, Founder (2007)
Selected for inclusion in the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (no more than 2.5% of lawyers in the state under the age of 40 are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2013)
Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable M. Allan Vogelson, Presiding Judge, Civil Superior Court of New Jersey, Camden County
Recent News, Articles & Publications
David A. Yavil explains the significance of a recent court opinion and its effect on Pennsylvania real estate practices.