Mr. McLaughlin is a shareholder and experienced trial lawyer who represents corporations, insurance companies, and individuals in complex litigation throughout the United States. He devotes 100% of his law practice to litigation. He concentrates in the areas of product liability, mass torts, insurance, catastrophic personal injury, employment, professional liability, breach of contract, transportation, and construction. Mr. McLaughlin represents Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies as well as middle market firms and small businesses in state and federal courts across the country. He serves as national trial and coordinating counsel in industry-wide litigation and also as lead trial counsel in lawsuits pending in Illinois. Mr. McLaughlin is a tireless and zealous advocate for each of his clients, whether the matter is bet-the-company litigation or a lawsuit involving more moderate liability exposure.
Every year since 2009, Mr. McLaughlin has been named to the Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars list. No more than 2.5% of Illinois attorneys under the age of 40 receive this professional honor, which is based on a rigorous evaluation of legal acumen, credentials, and peer evaluations.
Mr. McLaughlin is committed to giving back to his law firm and the community. He serves Segal McCambridge as Chairman of the Hiring Committee, a position he has held since 2011. An example of his exemplary pro bono service is the favorable monetary settlement Mr. McLaughlin achieved on behalf of a prisoner in a Section 1983 federal lawsuit he prosecuted against the Cook County Department of Corrections involving civil rights violations for refusal to provide medical treatment.
Mr. McLaughlin lives in Chicago with his wife and two daughters.
- Obtained complete summary judgment for behavioral healthcare facility in Title VII employment discrimination matter involving Plaintiff who claimed she was discriminated against by her employer because of her race.
- Serving as national trial and coordinating counsel on behalf of manufacturer of post-surgical pain relief medical device in industry-wide litigation.
- Liaison Counsel for medical device manufacturers in Judicial Council Coordinated Proceedings ("JCCP") appointed by The Honorable Gail A. Andler, In Re: Infusion Pump Cases, Superior Court of California, County of Orange.
- As trial counsel, obtained "not guilty" verdict for international medical implant manufacturer facing $800,000 product liability lawsuit.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of manufacturer and distributor of methodone in wrongful death lawsuit involving allegations of methadone overdose.
- Represented manufacturer of ephedra-containing diary supplement in wrongful death and personal injury lawsuits.
- Won dismissal of truckload carrier and driver in single fatality lawsuit involving allegations that the trailer under-ride guard was defectively designed.
- Prosecuting breach of real estate contract lawsuits on behalf of a consortium of 21 buyers of luxury high-rise condominium units against developer Grant Park 2, LLC and Grant Park Chicago Syndicated Holdings, LLC, involving purchase agreements totaling in excess of $17 million. Read the Crain's Chicago Business article on the case.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of alleged manufacturer of benzyne in wrongful death lawsuit.
- Won dismissal of national fast food chain in wrongful death lawsuit involving allegations of lack of adequate safety protocols to prevent homicide of employee.
- Represented multiple manufacturers of diacetyl in national litigation involving catastrophic respiratory injuries.
- Trial counsel for hospital in wrongful death lawsuit alleging nursing staff failed to monitor the decedent's oxygen saturation levels and prematurely discharged the decedent from the hospital.
- Represented hospital in wrongful death lawsuit alleging failure to emergently treat cardiac ischemia and myocardial infraction.
- Trial counsel for corporation facing $1.6 million premises liability lawsuit. Successfully tried case receiving "not guilty" verdict.
- Won dismissal of manufacturer of nitric oxide delivery device in wrongful death lawsuit.
- Obtained judgment in excess of $500,000 in favor of a consortium of real estate purchasers against developer for breach of real estate contracts and misappropriation of earnest money.
- Achieved dismissal of Residential Treatment Facility ("RTF") from lawsuit involving allegations of Title VII gender and race discrimination, Section 1981 retaliation, breach of employment contract, defamation, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
- Lead trial counsel on behalf of two Commercial Mortgage Backed Securities ("CMBS") large loan originators in their breach of employment contract suit against their former bank-employer.
- Won dismissal of Czech Republic entity from wrongful death lawsuit involving alleged defectively designed and manufactured golf car.
- Achieved favorable settlement for leading Japanese information and communication technology ("ICT") company in breach of contract action arising out of services performed in the implementation of an internet enabled data center.
- Represented spinal implant distributor in re-negotiation of business loan and guarantee agreement with business partners and investors.
- Defending Japanese automotive manufacturer and U.S. based dealership against allegations of seat back failure in wrongful death lawsuit.
- Achieved favorable settlement on behalf of full truckload ("FTL") and less than full truckload ("LTL") carrier and driver in double fatality interstate highway accident.
- Represented manufacturer of 500-ton industrial punch press in lawsuit alleging inadequate safety guarding caused hand-off injury.
- Won dismissal of German luxury automotive manufacturer in crashworthiness wrongful death lawsuit alleging defective vehicle design caused fire upon impact with highway guardrail.
- Represented pharmacist who filled prescription of tricyclic antidepressant with incorrect dose amounts causing injuries associated with drug overdose.
- Achieved favorable settlement for Japanese manufacturer of Supersport motorcycle in wrongful death lawsuit.
- Won dismissal of medical device manufacturer from lawsuit involving alleged defective titanium plate and screws implanted into arm to repair broken bones.
- Represented Japanese manufacturer of Sport Utility all terrain vehicle ("ATV") in lawsuit brought on behalf of 9-year-old child who sustained massive burns.
- Achieved favorable settlement for behavioral health facility in breach of contract action brought by holder in due course of promissory note for services performed at the facility.
- Represented Japanese automotive manufacturer of sport utility vehicle ("SUV") in single fatality highway rollover accident.
- Achieved favorable settlement for manufacturer of airbag component parts in lawsuit brought by Plaintiff against a "Big Three" U.S. automotive manufacturer.
Eastern Illinois University, B.S., 1997
The John Marshall Law School, J.D., 2000
Supreme Court of Illinois, 2000
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2000
U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2005
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar, 2007
U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2010
U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2010
U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2013
U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 2007
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- "Mastering Section 2-615 Motions to Dismiss," The Chicago Bar Association (October 20, 2009).
- "Construction Crane Safety," The University of Wisconsin - Madison, College of Engineering (Fall 2001).
- "Discovery in Commercial Litigation Cases," The Chicago Bar Association (Spring 2000).
- "Homeria v. San Marcos - Best Brief Award," Georgetown University International Law Journal (Spring 2000).
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
American Bar Association
Chicago Bar Association
Chicago Volunteer Legal Services Foundation
Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (“CLM”), Premium Member
Defense Research Institute
Illinois State Bar Association
Selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (no more than 2.5% of lawyers in the state under the age of 40 are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2009-2013)
Dean's List, John Marshall Law School, 1997-2000
John Marshall Law Review, John Marshall Law School
Moot Court Team, John Marshall Law School