Throughout the years, manufacturers of asbestos-containing products and their insurers have paid billions in damages and settlements. With thousands of asbestos-related cases and claims filed annually, defendants are faced with the need to hire counsel to handle claims in multiple jurisdictions. Further, plaintiffs have expanded their theories of liability and are seeking and winning damages from a wider variety of potential defendants, including premises owners, distributors, installers and contractors. They are also winning punitive damages awards.
Faced with potentially devastating liability exposure, businesses and their insurers need counsel with comprehensive knowledge of the law and government regulations, asbestos expertise and courtroom skill. They need a firm with the experience and resources to manage even the most complex cases on a national basis, a firm that is respected by the plaintiff’s bar, a firm that knows how to win high-stakes, bet-the-company cases.
Nationally recognized as a leader in asbestos defense and highly regarded for our vast asbestos knowledge and proven record of success, Segal McCambridge has made asbestos litigation a major focus for more than 28 years, defending asbestos-related claims for Fortune 500 companies, major manufacturers, premises owners and insurers since the late 1980s. We have tried more than 80 asbestos cases to verdict and have proceeded to trial more than 150 times, serving as national coordination and trial counsel as well as regional, local and expert development counsel.
The Segal McCambridge Difference
Our Asbestos Litigation team not only knows the science, medicine and law, we possess the extensive resources and experience to vigorously and effectively defend high-risk asbestos cases in and out of court. Our lawyers regularly handle class actions, MDL 875 and multiparty cases, product liability and premises liability claims, consolidated cases, enormous cases involving up to 20,000 claims, simultaneous litigation in state and federal courts and virtually every other scenario imaginable. Often we are called in to take over particularly contentious cases on short notice. We have negotiated global agreements, jurisdiction-wide agreements and individual case settlements, and when going to trial is the best course of action, our trial lawyers are particularly adept at presenting state-of-the-art, medical causation defenses and effectively arguing for risk transfer, liability sharing and even case dismissals.
All members of the asbestos litigation team, including support staff, receive extensive training regarding the medical, technical and legal aspects of each case, and the unique features of the product of each defendant, assuring cost-efficient, knowledgeable and effective service at all levels.
Segal McCambridge maintains excellent working relationships with leading trial consultants, prominent defense experts and a network of local counsel throughout the United States, enabling us to offer coordinated national counsel, avoid pitfalls, contain costs and streamline litigation. We have deposed and cross-examined every major plaintiff asbestos expert and regularly engage with the leading plaintiff’s firms. We know how they think and how they work and we are prepared to take on their challenges.
Members of our Asbestos Litigation team work closely with each client, considering the risks and determining whether pretrial resolution or litigation is the best course of action. Identifying particularly high-risk cases, we engage experts to evaluate exposure, conduct early assessments and employ creative and aggressive motions.
Tech Savvy, Cost-Effective Service
We maintain an up-to-date, trial-ready, comprehensive database of asbestos-related medical and scientific sources and expert witnesses that catalogs information and links expert depositions and trial transcripts, enabling us to readily access prior testimony of experts and documents to support and structure our clients’ defense. Armed with this extensive resource, we have the ability to hit the ground running, offering impressive results and cost-effective service.
The firm also has a secure Extranet through which we can share current case information, documents and status reports with clients based on the level of communication, sophistication and access each client desires.
We offer competitive billing rates and a variety of fee structures, aggressively control expenses and work toward offering cost predictability and value-added service.
Beyond the Courtroom
Segal McCambridge lawyers work proactively with clients, assisting with due diligence investigations and devising risk avoidance strategies, policies and best practices to limit their exposure to liability.
- Segal McCambridge attorneys prevail on behalf of client on forum non conveniens motion, dismissing case from Cook County4.8.15
- Segal McCambridge Obtains Two Defense Verdicts in New York City Asbestos Litigation Involving Mesothelioma Wrongful Death Claims3.18.14
- Joseph Cagnoli Publishes 'Asbestos Litigation, Attorney Advertising & Bankruptcy Trusts: The Economic Incentives Behind The New Recruitment Of Lung Cancer Cases'12.4.13
- Asbestos Litigation Conference Co-Chair Tim Krippner Featured in The Madison-St. Clair Record and Chicago Daily Law Bulletin3.22.13
- Appellate Victory for Client Incorrectly Sanctioned at Trial for Failing to Produce Third-Party Witness2.12.10
- Segal McCambridge Attorneys Succeed in Effort to Bar Plaintiff's Experts and Screening Company Evidence11.6.09
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Edward J. McCambridge To Speak at London Asbestos Litigation Conference8.7.09
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Timothy Krippner To Chair HB Litigation Conferences' "Emerging Trends in Asbestos Litigation"3.6.09
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Jonathan Lively to Speak at the American Conference Institute's 20th National Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims & Litigation in PhiladelphiaThe Union League, 1.14.16
- Union League Club, Chicago, IL, 10.8.15
- San Franscisco, CA, 9.30.15
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Jonathan Lively to Speak at the Chicago 19th National Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims and LitigationOmni Hotel, Chicago, IL, 6.23.15
- Segal McCambridge Shareholders to Chair and Speak at Perrin Cutting-Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation ConferenceBeverley Hills, CA, 3.16.15
- Jason Eckerly Invited to Present Asbestos Update to American Boiler Manufacturers Association in JuneUpdate on Asbestos Litigation – What Has Been Learned Over The Years and How It Is Being AppliedPonte Vedra Beach, FL, 6.28.14
- San Francisco, CA, 9.9.13
- Scott Henry to Present Webinar on Asbestos Litigation Strategy for Claims and Litigation Management Alliance6.18.13
- Segal McCambridge Shareholders William Mahoney and Ed McCambridge To Speak at DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar7.30.12
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Tim Krippner to Co-Chair Perrin Asbestos Conference, Three Other Segal McCambridge Shareholders To Speak1.4.12
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Joseph Cagnoli To Speak at National Business Institute Asbestos Conference10.19.11
- Segal McCambridge Shareholders Catherine Goldhaber and Jonathan Lively To Speak at DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar6.22.11
- Segal McCambridge Shareholders Steven Hart and Catherine Goldhaber To Speak at Perrin Asbestos Litigation Conference6.7.11
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Nathan Horne Added to Line-Up at Perrin Asbestos Bankruptcy Conference5.23.11
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Catherine Goldhaber Added to Line-Up at Perrin Conferences' Asbestos Litigation Conference8.16.10
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Jonathan Lively To Speak at HarrisMartin's Midwest Asbestos Litigation Conference8.10.10
- Segal McCambridge Shareholders Steven Hart and Jason Kennedy to Speak at Perrin Conferences' Asbestos Litigation Conference7.1.10
- Segal McCambridge Shareholders Catherine Goldhaber and Timothy Krippner to Speak at DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar6.30.10
- Segal McCambridge Shareholder Nathan Horne To Speak at Perrin Conferences' Asbestos Bankruptcy Conference5.11.10
Articles & Publications
- ABA Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee Newsletter, Spring 2015
- Much Ado About Nothing? Change to Illinois Construction Statute of Repose Should Only Apply to Claims Arising from Construction that Occurred after 2004DRI: The Critical Path, 4.21.15
- Asbestos Litigation, Attorney Advertising & Bankruptcy Trusts: The Economic Incentives Behind The New Recruitment Of Lung Cancer Cases12.4.13
- Albany Law Review Article: The Controversial Contradiction between Traditional Precedent and Recent Failure To Warn Jurisprudence in New York8.1.11
- Madina Axelrod
- Thomas Bernier
- Pamela Broache
- Joseph Cagnoli, Jr.
- Michael Cantieri
- Jeremy Dongilli
- Jason Eckerly
- Theodore Eder
- Melissa Fallah
- Christian Gannon
- Catherine Goldhaber
- Steven Hart
- Scott Henry
- Brian Hogan
- Nathan Horne
- Adam Jagadich
- Jason Kennedy
- Dwight Kern
- John Kohnke
- David Kostus
- Timothy Krippner
- John LaBoon
- Jonathan Lively
- Danielle Luisi
- William Mahoney
- Edward McCambridge
- Gregory McNamee
- Katrina Murphy
- Robert Rigolosi
- Benjamin Shrader
- James Svajgl
- John Turlik
- Cameron Turner
- Lindsey Tylus
- Benjamin Whetzel
- Jim Williams
- Paul Wojcicki
- Jenni Young