From initial design through project completion, many disputes and legal challenges may arise. Whether addressing construction defects, cost overruns, construction delays, safety issues, property damage, personal injury claims, insurance or indemnity issues, overcoming the challenges requires guidance from skilled construction attorneys.
Comprehensive, Cost-Effective Dispute Resolution
With litigation expertise and construction industry knowledge, Segal McCambridge construction attorneys offer extensive trial experience and innovative strategic guidance, handling all types of construction disputes. Our lawyers listen closely to each client to determine the best course of action based on the clients' specific goals and the risks involved. When litigation is the most appropriate strategy, we employ the latest technologies, efficiently managing complex, document-intensive cases and handling trials at all levels, as well as necessary appeals through final resolution.
Representing private and public clients, we serve as regional and national coordinating counsel, litigating construction-related disputes on behalf of developers, property owners, contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, and others involved in the construction industry. Efficiently and effectively resolving disputes through litigation, arbitration, and negotiated settlement, we are also frequently retained by insurers to represent their insureds.
We have successfully resolved disputes involving:
- Building defect claims
- Breach of contract claims
- Construction site accidents
- Cost overruns
- Negligence claims
- Mechanics lien claims
- Defective products and workmanship
- Personal injury claims
- Property damage complaints
- Workers’ Compensation
Regarding insurance and indemnity issues, we aggressively work to identify all available risk transfer options. Our attorneys also advise on and represent clients in OSHA investigations and defend them against building code violation allegations.
Litigation Avoidance and Risk Management
Recognizing that litigation is both disruptive and costly, we work proactively with our clients on risk management strategies, offering manager and employee on-site safety and risk avoidance seminars, evaluating safety programs and handbooks, identifying potential areas of liability, advising on contract terms and associated risk-transfer clauses, and devising solutions to minimize liability exposure.
We stay current on legal and industry-related developments, maintain active memberships in construction industry associations, including serving as committee chairs, and frequently write and speak on construction-related topics.
- Arbitrated a seven-figure contract indemnity and additional insured claim arising from an underlying catastrophic accident.
- Perfected an indemnity risk transfer for one of the firm's product distributors in a seven-figure personal injury construction loss.
- Represented a subcontractor in a catastrophic construction loss case that involved numerous legal issues, including construction design, insurance procurement, and associated risk-transfer analysis.
- Successfully defended a subcontractor against a multimillion-dollar contract indemnity claim.
- Represented subcontractors in a variety of construction defect cases dealing with window installation, water infiltration, and interior design work, among other types of claims.
- Successfully tried a case to verdict wherein a carpenter fell approximately 14 feet from a scaffold and sustained multiple spinal fractures which required an eight (8) level spinal fusion. Plaintiff's counsel sought over $18 million in damages from the jury, which only awarded a total of $2.34 million
- Won a Labor Law Section 240 summary judgment motion and created an issue of fact, where an ironworker was in the process of hoisting an approximately 4000 lb. concrete precast for a stairwell, and fell 15 feet down the stairwell.
- DRI's Construction Litigation Desk Reference, with Segal McCambridge-Authored Michigan Chapter, Now Ready for Pre-Order2.3.10
- Segal McCambridge Attorney Keith Hays To Speak At HB Litigation Conferences' Construction Defect Litigation Teleconference2.13.09
- Segal McCambridge Partner, Edward J. McCambridge, Will Be a Featured Speaker at the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel's Construction Insurance Symposium & Trial Tactics Seminar8.15.07
- New Jersey Shareholder Dinesh Dadlani Speaking at Perrin Conferences National Construction Defect ConferenceFort Lauderdale, FL, 11.16.18
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida, November 15-17, 2017
- Columbia University, 2.2.16
Articles & Publications
- "Much Ado About Nothing? Change to Illinois Construction Statute of Repose Should Only Apply to Claims Arising from Construction that Occurred after 2004."DRI: The Critical Path, 4.21.15
- Corporate Counsel, 1.29.15
- Corporate Counsel, 1.29.15
- Mary Adams
- Brian Bergin
- Mandy Black
- Cameron Brown
- Michael Cantieri
- Dinesh Dadlani
- Theodore Eder
- Bessie Fakhri
- Jill Felkins
- Howard Fried
- Christian Gannon
- Katherine Gonyea
- Simone Honeygan
- Nathan Horne
- Jason Kennedy
- Joseph Kenney
- Doug Lackey
- Jonathan Lively
- Nicole Markowitz
- Mailise Marks
- Robert Rigolosi
- Steven Rosenblatt
- Donald Segal
- Nicholas Shawver
- Alan Taylor
- Christopher Triska
- Robert Wall
- Mark Willingham
- David Yates