Segal McCambridge has unique experience in the sports, recreation and entertainment industries, counseling clients on changing regulations and ever-evolving liability trends.
We have advised a variety of sports, recreation and entertainment entities, including teams, leagues, venue owners and operators, recreation facilities, amusement parks, water parks family entertainment centers, festivals, equine-related entities, fitness facilities and camps. The firm’s deep experience in this area includes defending claims for sexual assault and abuse, premises and spectator liability, as well as representing the needs of professional and amateur athletes themselves. We also boast a SafeSport practice and are proud members of the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee’s Athlete Legal Aid Panel.
On the preventive side, we help clients develop risk prevention programs and protocols to address issues that may arise in the course of an activity. This includes drafting ticket back and liability waiver language. We regularly draft and review documents related to licensing, image rights, and endorsement agreements.
Our equine law practice includes representing owners of horses competing as hunters, jumpers and in Dressage nationally and internationally.
Our clients include:
- Professional and amateur sports teams and leagues
- Olympic athletes
- Recreational leagues
- Gyms and fitness centers
- Sporting and entertainment venue owners and operators
- Concert promoters
- Nightclubs, bars and restaurants
- Amusement parks and family entertainment centers
- Water parks
- Site-based entertainment venues
- Recreation centers
- Athletic training facilities
- Golf resorts
- Ski resorts
- Race tracks
- Horse owners
Articles & Publications
- NFL, Players’ Association Facing Class Action Lawsuit Over Disability Cuts in New Collective Bargaining AgreementSports Litigation Alert, 8.5.20
- Clause and Effect: New Jersey Appellate Court Compels Arbitration in Personal Injury Actions Involving Indoor Trampoline ParkSports Litigation Alert, 8.4.20
- Business Insurance, 7.30.20
- Decision Involving Fantasy Sports Wager Could Define What Does and Does Not Constitute Illegal Gambling in IllinoisSports Litigation Alert, 7.20
- CNBC, 7.16.20
- New York Court Dismisses Novel Case Involving Sudden Stoppage of Electric Roller Coaster, ‘The Hurricane,’ Discusses the Doctrine of Res Ipsa LoquiturSports Litigation Alert, 4.7.20